NATO Insiders Suspect Turkey Coup Was Staged by Erdogan himself


Date posted: March 3, 2017

Erik Kindel

In the 8 months since Turkey’s government weathered a potentially destabilizing coup, allegations continue to swirl about who was actually behind the surprising flare up of violence. In an unsubstantiated leak to Aldrimer.no, “Senior NATO sources” currently believe the coup was staged by President Erdogan himself.

The sources stress that while there is no written documentation to support this claim, because it’s “simply too sensitive,” the senior NATO generals have come to the consensus that there was no coup, only a manufactured military incident by Turkey’s president.

“If the Turkish Armed Forces wanted to carry out a coup, they would have succeeded,” one of the NATO sources allegedly told Aldrimer.no reporter Kjetil Stormark. “That’s a tradition in Turkey.”

“They had a list of 1600 names the very next day of people they wanted gone,” the source added.

The coup in question took place Friday, July 15 2016. Turkey experienced an extremely intense, brief period of unrest which saw tanks deployed to the streets of the capital, Ankara, and Turkey’s largest city, Istanbul. Two bridges crossing the Bosporus Strait were closed, and fighter planes took off and attacked the presidential palace and parliament in Ankara.

The coup began while President Erdogan was on vacation, but he quickly traveled back to Istanbul. In the coup’s wake, he enacted several security measures, gave himself further powers of leadership, and expunged the government’s ranks of the supposedly disloyal.

The official explanation from the Turkish government is that the coup was staged by supporters of cleric Fethulah Gülen, currently in exile in Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania. Gülen’s organization runs hundreds of schools around the world and in Turkey.

Gülen denies any involvement with the coup.

“I don’t believe that the world believes the accusations made by President Erdogan. There is a possibility that it could be a staged coup and it could be meant for further accusations [against the Gülenists],” said Gülen in a statement to The Guardian.

Gülen’s popular movement, Hizmet, split from President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s party in 2013 over a corruption scandal.

Erdogan has demanded the US extradite Mr. Gülen, a legal US resident since 1999, for his role in the failed coup. But the US said it would only consider if Turkey could prove any wrongdoing on the part of Mr. Gülen. So far, no evidence has been offered.

Sources: Aldrimer.no , The Guardian

Source: Opposing Views , March 2, 2017


Related News

Tortured detainee would choose 50 years in prison over return to custody in Turkey

“I looked for a lawyer for days, but I failed. None of the lawyers agreed to defend my husband. The bar association will assign a lawyer. I feel so helpless. My husband is being tortured. I fear for his life and mental health. Please help me!”

Gülen denies ‘groundless’ Stratfor claims of pressure on AK Party

8 March 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Well-respected Turkish intellectual and scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied recent media reports based on leaked e-mails from security analysis company Stratfor that said members of his movement were putting pressure on the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in order to control the party. Gülen said through his lawyer […]

A Forum On Africa in Turkey (I)

Istanbul was peaceful when we arrived to attend the 29th Abant international forum titled: “Africa: Between Experience and Inspiration”. The event which brought together about 160 participants held between June 28-30, 2013 at a serene and scenic mountain resort of Abantu Buyuk Hotel in Bolu,Turkey.

Current defamation campaign against Hizmet was part of Ergenekon scheme

A major campaign launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and media organs to defame and discredit the Hizmet movement was among the plans of the Ergenekon network, which once attempted a coup d’état against the AK Party.

Turkey’s Curious Coup in 6 Questions

A year after the Turkey’s coup attempt, there are still many questions that need to be considered. Ismail Sezgin of Hizmet Studies, in this video, summarizes the findings that makes the coup attempt so curious and the positions of the Turkish Government, Gulen Movement, and Turkey’s Western allies. 

Gülen’s lawyer issues written warning to pro-gov’t media outlets

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, on Thursday issued a written warning to pro-government media outlets on social media for their persistent use of the expressions “parallel structure” — a term invented by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to followers of the Hizmet movement — and “Fethullah Gülen terrorist organization” — referred to in the dailies as FETÖ — on the grounds that they are making baseless claims regarding the faith-based movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

PakTurk School lauded for serving a wide range of students

Police chiefs removed in four provinces across Turkey

Kalashnikov-carrying police raid Gülen-inspired girls’ dormitory

Colors of world meeting at Turkish Language Olympics

Government files complaint against daily for exposing plot against Gülen

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

Did you say extradition?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News