Kosovo investigates seizure of Turkish nationals


Date posted: March 31, 2018

PRISTINA (Reuters) – Kosovo authorities are investigating the arrest and extradition of six Turkish citizens, which activists said represented a violation of human rights, Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj said on Saturday.

The six Turkish nationals were arrested in Kosovo on Thursday at Turkey’s request over alleged links to schools financed by the Gulen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed 2016 coup.

On Friday Haradinaj sacked the Kosovo interior minister and secret service chief for failing to inform him about the arrests.

“Today we have decided to start an investigation of all (state) structures that were involved in arresting and deporting the six Turkish men,” Haradinaj said after an urgent meeting of Kosovo’s security council.

Ankara accused the six arrested men of being recruiters for a network run by the U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen, and said they had helped people accused of connections to the network to leave Turkey. Ankara blames Gulen and his movement for the coup attempt in 2016. Gulen denies involvement.

Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan said on Saturday the six men had been captured by Turkish intelligence officers and brought to Turkey.

“Our National Intelligence Agency (MIT) captured six of the highest ranking members of (Gulen’s network)in the Balkans in the operation it conducted in Kosovo,” said Erdogan, speaking to supporters and party members in Istanbul.

He added that he was saddened by the sacking of the Kosovo interior minister and secret service chief.

Human Rights Watch criticized the Kosovo authorities over the arrests.

“In addition to the questionable arrests, the men were sent to a country where they face a serious risk of torture,” the watchdog said in a statement.

Kosovo has been under pressure from Turkey in recent weeks to take action against schools funded by the Gulen organization.

Relatives of the six had stayed at Pristina airport until the early hours of Saturday after rumors spread that they might still be in Kosovo.

They left after the police said the six had been sent to Turkey on Thursday.

“My father was kidnapped,” said one relative, Mustafa Gunakan, outside the airport. “We thought we were safe in Kosovo. We never thought it would end this way.”

Florian Bieber, a Balkans expert at the University of Graz, said the incident could be damaging for Kosovo, which is seeking to build closer ties with the European Union.

“It certainly will hurt Kosovo, both for throwing doubt on the rule of law and political authority and for cooperation with a regime that is authoritarian and increasingly antagonistic with the EU,” Bieber told Reuters.

 

Source: Reuters , March 31, 2018


Related News

Turkish schools holding Indonesia’s largest science olympiad

One thousand 202 project entries in total from across the country were received months ahead of the event. 160 of them qualified for the finals passing a jury of eminent names. The finalists will be ultimately judged by academics from the top five universities of the country. Top 25 projects will receive their awards at a ceremony this Thursday and represent Indonesia in international science olympiads.

2-month-old denied breast milk for 17 days while under detention with mother

Put under detention with his mother at Ankara’s Sincan Prison, a two-month-old newborn had been denied access to breast milk for 17 days.

Turkish asylum claims in Greece rise 40-fold in three years

The number of Turks claiming asylum in Greece has increased 40-fold in three years, according to figures released by Athens, as more people face prosecution for their alleged role in a failed coup against President Erdogan.

Gülen worries fake news could associate new terror attacks, assassinations in Turkey with him

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen said on Tuesday that fabricated stories in the pro-government media about new terror attacks and political assassinations in Turkey could be associated with followers of the faith-based Gülen movement.

Kimse Yok Mu distributes aid to Syrian refugees

As Turkey is trying to meet the needs of the hundreds of thousands of Syrian refugees who have taken shelter in Turkey from the war in Syria, charity organizations have scrambled to launch massive aid campaigns to lend a hand to the embattled refugees, with Kimse Yok Mu providing food and aid for 2,500 Syrians in İstanbul every week.

Grondahl: Turkish community strong in wake of threats from back home

After a three-year hiatus, forced underground by fear of political retaliation from the repressive autocratic Erdogan regime in Turkey, members of the local Turkish community are re-emerging.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Debunking Erdoğan’s smear campaign against Gülen

We could not have imagined so many insults

Who put those 4.5 million dollars there?

AK Party’s ’parallel’ election campaign

GYV Presient Yesil: We knock on all doors

Mr. Minister, please look at yourself in the mirror

Gulen – Erdogan History in 2 minutes

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News