Kosovo Extradition of Wanted Turkish ‘Gulenist’ Suspended

Ugur Toksoy at Pristina Basic Court on Thursday. Photo: BIRN
Ugur Toksoy at Pristina Basic Court on Thursday. Photo: BIRN


Date posted: December 19, 2017

Die Morina

Kosovo prosecutor Ali Rexha on Thursday withdrew his request for the court to allow the extradition of Turkish citizen Ugur Toksoy, who was arrested on October 27 on a warrant arrest issued by Turkey.

Turkey accuses Toksoy of having links to the so-called Gulen movement, which it claims masterminded an attempted coup in the country in July last year.

During the hearing set to decide on Toksoy’s extradition, prosecutor Rexha told court that he was withdrawing the request due to lack of evidence.

The withdrawal of the request means the extradition procedure is suspended.

Toksoy’s lawyer Adem Vokshi said Turkey did not provide enough evidence to justify its request for extradition. This means that if there is new evidence, the prosecution can refile the request.

The decision to arrest Toksoy made Kosovo the first country in the Balkans to detain a Turkish teacher for alleged links to Muslim cleric Fetullah Gulen, who Ankara alleges is the head of a terrorist movement.

Turkey claims that Toksoy is one of the leaders of the Gulen movement, which it calls the ‘Fethullah Terrorist Organisation’, or ‘FETO’, which it accuses of being behind last July’s failed coup.

Ankara says Toksoy was in Kosovo gathering funds for the movement, which he would then send to Turkey. But these claims have been denied by Toksoy.

The court in Pristina on October 29 heard that in Kosovo, Toksoy worked as a coordinator for the NGO Atmosfera, which runs the Hasan Nahi school in Prizren.

Gulen, a former ally of Turkish President Recept Tayyip Erdogan, now lives in exile in the US and insists he had nothing to do with the attempted coup.

That has not stopped Ankara from arresting more than 60,000 of his alleged followers in Turkey, closing schools and colleges linked to him and demanding that foreign governments do the same.

Turkish officials have pressured Kosovo and other states in the Balkan region to suppress Gulen-linked NGOs and colleges and hand over alleged Gulen movement members.

In Turkey, several hundred thousand people from the army, police, academia, media, NGOs and the private sector have also lost their jobs in the post-coup crackdown.

 

Source: Balkan Insight , December 14, 2017


Related News

Gülen’s defense against Erdoğan’s onslaught

In an effort to find a scapegoat for the colossal wrongdoings in government — including graft, money laundering, re-zoning land and influence peddling allegedly committed, according to the opposition, with the full knowledge and consent of Erdoğan — the Turkish prime minister has staged an unprecedented onslaught against Gülen with all kinds of name calling. He has accused Gülen of plotting a coup against his government without offering a single shred of evidence

Singing, poetry competitions of Turkish Olympiad held in İstanbul, Ankara

Senegalese student Maty Diokhane, who recited a Necip Fazıl Kısakürek poem, won the poetry competition of the 11th International Turkish Language Olympiad on Saturday night, while Martin Yordanov from Bulgaria won the singing contest held in İstanbul on Friday night. The 11th International Turkish Language Olympiad, which brings together hundreds of foreign students each year […]

Are Turkey’s torture chambers back?

In the wake of the 2016 coup attempt, torture and abusive and degrading treatment are again becoming the norm in Turkish prisons, rather than the exception, Turkish news site Diken said on Tuesday.

Atyrau student wins silver in Brazil research competition

Talgat Yegizbayev, an 11th-grade student from Kazakhstan, has been awarded a silver medal at the International Science Olympiad MOSTRATEC in Brazil, Tengrinews reports citing Munaily Astana.

Teachers, parents oppose Pak-Turk Schools takeover

A group calling itself the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges Parent-Teacher Association expressed concern on Saturday over reports that the government was going to hand over the school management to “a political entity”. Speaking at a press conference at the Raiwind Road campus, they said they would oppose such a move.

Is [Erdogan’s] Maarif Foundation capable of delivering quality education?

Not only will the Maarif Foundation be unable to accomplish anything conducive and rewarding, it will not be able to prepare the required generation of youth with open-mindedness and critical thinking.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Amnesty: Civil society under massive crackdown in Turkey, Gülen movement main target

I Weep For Turkey

Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

US House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee: Charges against Gülen not credible

Turkey’s Main Opposition Party Reiterates In Report July 15 Was ‘Controlled’ Coup Attempt

Free speech groups condemn Turkey’s closure of 29 publishers after failed coup

Kimse Yok Mu to provide meals to over 1 mln in Ramadan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News