Kimse Yok Mu head: Council of State confirms charity’s transparency

İsmail Cingöz, the president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu (Photo: Today's Zaman)
İsmail Cingöz, the president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: November 29, 2014

According to İsmail Cingöz, president of the charity Kimse Yok Mu, the Council of State’s unanimous annulment of a recent Cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect donations confirms its institutional transparency, accountability and reliability.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Cingöz welcomed the court decision, saying it is good to see that the judicial system is still functioning in Turkey. Drawing attention to the unanimity of the decision, Cingöz said the court verdict shows there is nothing wrong with the functioning of Kimse Yok Mu.

The organization’s bank accounts — which were frozen following an order from the İstanbul Governor’s Office — are expected to be unblocked. Cingöz also said he had spoken to the three largest cellphone network operators in Turkey and says they will once again make available the option to donate to Kimse Yok Mu campaigns via SMS.

The embassies of the countries where Kimse Yok Mu organizes charitable works, the United States, European Union delegations and other diplomatic missions all wanted to be informed about the legal developments during the smear campaign against the charity, Cingöz said. He added that although it has been inspected by three different groups of inspectors since last year who spent monthssearching through their documents, the charity has not been fined for engagement in illegal activities or the misuse of funds.

Kimse Yok Mu will apply to all domestic and international courts to defend its rights and will file complaints against Interior Minister Efkan Ala, officials from the Interior Ministry, the İstanbul Governor’s Office and media figures who violated the law during the smear campaign against the charity, Cingöz added.

The 10th Chamber of the Council of State announced on Tuesday its decision regarding an appeal by the charity against the decision by the Cabinet in October that removed Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect donations, saying the decision is against the law.

According to the Council of State, Kimse Yok Mu does not have any deficiency which should result in the removal of its public interest status. Indicating that the Cabinet argued the charity was involved in irregularities through the collection of donations when justifying its decision, the court said it found no irregularity that should cause the charity to lose its status as an organization that exhibits “accountability, transparency, institutionalization and reliability.”

Kimse Yok Mu is active in 113 countries around the world. The charity distributes food, constructs hospitals, schools and orphanages, and digs wells, among other activities, to extend a helping hand to those in need. The Council of State’s decision effectively allows the charity to continue the flow of aid to many areas both in Turkey and abroad, including to Gaza.

Kimse Yok Mu is Turkey’s only aid organization that holds UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) “special consultative status.” It developed internationally recognized relief programs in partnership with the UN Human Rights Council (UNHCR) in 2013 and was also granted the Turkish Parliament’s Outstanding Service Award in 2013, with the approval of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) administration.

However, the organization had many of its rights as a charity revoked by the ruling AK Party since a major corruption scandal was brought to public attention in December 2013, due to the charity’s affiliation with the Hizmet movement. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan holds the Hizmet movement — a grassroots social initiative known for its educational and cultural programs — responsible for the corruption investigations, which implicated some of his inner circle and family members.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 26, 2014


Related News

Report: Turkey’s purge risks isolating its higher education from int’l academia

Turkey’s purge of academics has already harmed the reputation of its higher education sector, the latest Free to Think report from the New York-based Scholars at Risk (SAR) noted adding that it risks greater damage by isolating Turkish scholars, students, and institutions from the international flow of ideas and talent.

Woman miscarries twins after arrest, struggles for her life in prison

In yet another example of human tragedies proliferated in the aftermath of the July 15 coup attempt, a Sinop woman lost her twins in jail after she was arrested due to the ByLock mobile application that she says has never downloaded.

Relatives Fear Turkish Govt May Kill Prisoners Through Staged Riot

Prisoners jailed in the post-coup crackdown in Istanbul and Ankara these days have far serious problem than torture and ill-treatment: media reports about a mass prison break that could provoke a government intervention, claims about mass executions of the prisoners trying to escape in that attempt.

Gülen’s lawyer denies allegation of plot against Erdoğan’s daughter, calls it ’immoral slander’

A lawyer for Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen categorically denied claims by pro-government newspapers that Gülen ordered the assassination of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s daughter Sümeyye Erdoğan ahead of the June 7 general elections, calling the allegations “immoral slander” that he regrets even having to deny.

Teacher jailed with 3-day-old baby released only to house arrest with ankle bracelet

Aysun Aydemir, an English teacher who was jailed with her three-day-old baby on Monday, has been released only to house arrest with an electronic bracelet on her ankle.

Prominent Alevi leader welcomes Gülen’s remarks on bridge controversy

HÜSEYİN AYDIN, İSTANBUL Fermani Altun, head of the World Ehl-i Beyt Foundation, a leading Alevi association, has welcomed Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s recent remarks in which he stressed Alevi-Sunni brotherhood amidst an ongoing debate over the naming of a new bridge after an Ottoman sultan considered controversial by Alevis. In a speech broadcast on herkul.org on Wednesday, […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Medialog debates new media challenges at İstanbul conference

Confluence of cultures at 14th edition of IFLC

Ayan: Halkbank operated like Iran’s Central Bank

Afghan official lauds Turkey’s education drive

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Turkey-China seek new gateway for business at Tuskon meeting

An American’s journey into a Hizmet school in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News