Kidnappers demand N100m for Turkish school victims


Date posted: January 17, 2017

Robert Egbe and Oluwatoyin Adeleye

The abductors of eight pupils and workers of Nigerian Tulip International College (NTIC) have made a ransom demand of N100 million to free them, The Nation learnt yesterday.

It was gathered that the kidnappers contacted the husband of one of the victims early yesterday to make the demand.

The plea that the families did not have that amount of money was rejected by the kidnappers, it was learnt.

“The kidnappers called early this morning and demanded N100m. That is what they are insisting on for now, but the family cannot raise that amount.

“We are worried. We hope God will touch their heart to free all the victims. The police are also assuring us that they are on top of the situation,” a source close to the family said.

But the Ogun State Police Command denied knowledge of any contact with or discussion on ransom from the kidnappers.

Spokesman Abimbola Oyeyemi said the police were still doing all they could to rescue the victims.

He said: “We are not aware of that. We are not aware. We are doing our own job trying to get the victims rescued, so we are not aware of any discussion about ransom.”

Also yesterday, students of the college were sent home and academic activities suspended.

Vice Principal (Academic), Mr. Olayinka Aderoju, told The Nation that the school had been closed for this week, after which a Parents’ Teachers Association (PTA) meeting will be held and the reopening will be discussed.

He was hopeful that the victims would be returned safely.

Aderoju said: “For security reasons, we cannot divulge any information about the development yet. But we are doing our part and the security operatives are doing theirs, but we cannot say anything that can jeopardize the efforts. But we are hopeful of their early release and freedom. For now the school is observing a break in order to identify with those abducted students and staff. We cannot continue as though things are normal. In any case, we are hopeful that very soon there will be good result for us. For now, we have not decided how long the break will be but on Saturday we will hold a PTA meeting where we will review the situation and after that we will determine what to do but before then, we are hopeful.”

Parents and authorities of the school were thrown into panic at the weekend, when kidnappers dressed in military camouflage uniforms, stormed the school and whisked away three students, three female supervisors, one female cook and a female Turkish teacher.

Two of the abducted students were preparing for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) exam.

The VP called for government’s intervention to end the spate of kidnappings across the country, noting that the lives of innocent children were at risk.

“This shows that government has a big responsibility on its hands. This situation is getting out of hand and government has so much left to be done. Are they trying to tell people that their children are not safe anymore, even in their schools? I think they can do better in the area of security,” he said.

Source: The Nation , January 16, 2017


Related News

Afghan education minister recommends Turkish schools in each province

Congratulating the Turkish teachers working at the schools in Afghanistan, Minister Wardak said that they were “highly respected.” He went on to praise the teachers who “leave behind their families and their cherished hometowns, leaving wonderful cities like İstanbul and Ankara and all that is near and dear to them to serve the Afghan nation and Afghan children.”

Laotian President Sayasone hosts Turkish school officials

Choummaly Sayasone, the president of Laos, has hosted officials from a Turkish school in the country at the presidential palace, saying that the Turkish school is a gift for their country.

Incredible achievement by Turkish school in Papua New Guinea

Having won Papua New Guinea its first international medal in its history, the Turkish school in the country achieved yet another success by ranking number one in the national university entrance exams.

Libyan minister would like to see Turkish teachers, schools in his country

Libya’s minister of higher education said on Thursday he would welcome the establishment of Turkish schools in his country. Naim Ghariani, Libya’s minister of higher education, said his country would like to see the opening of Turkish schools and would welcome Turkish teachers and students. Encouraged by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Turkish entrepreneurs have […]

Once shut down by Taliban, now Afghan gov’t plans to hand over successful Turkish Schools to Turkish Gov’t

Afghanistan president Ashraf Ghani has agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation which is a governmental institution. This step has, however, not been welcomed by the affected schools. Officials of the schools have warned that the move would lead to closing the schools and damage the quality of education.

Turkish President Gül: Turkish schools abroad largest non-state project

11 June 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Turkish President Abdullah Gül has said Turkish schools abroad are the largest non-state project Turkey has ever seen, noting that the schools’ value will only increase in the future. Organizers and participants in the 10th International Turkish Olympiads presented the Karamanoğlu Mehmet Bey Turkish Language Award to the president, who […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Why Kimse Yok Mu probe may affect education in Nigeria

Should We Send A Man We Know Is Innocent To His Death Abroad?

Arab Students in Turkey Facing Arbitrary Arrest

‘Selam’ – We come in peace

Canada grants asylum to eight Gulenists under UN protection in Mongolia

“Here today, the Honorable Gulen’s vision is coming true”, says Malian Minister

Austrian Far-Right Leader Likens Turkish Coup to Reichstag Fire

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News