Kanter: I was excluded from Turkey squad due to my beliefs

Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)
Enes Kanter. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mehmet Yaman)


Date posted: June 25, 2015

Turkish basketball player Enes Kanter, who has made no secret of his links to the Gülen movement — a civil society group also known as the Hizmet movement that is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — has stated that he has been excluded from Turkey’s basketball team for the 2015 European Basketball Championship due to his beliefs.

Releasing a written statement late on Tuesday, Kanter said that he was not convinced by team coach Ergin Ataman’s statement to justify his decision to exclude him from the team. “Although I have been repeating my desire to wear the Turkish national team’s jersey over the past two years, the fact that I was not called up is very upsetting. The justifications for this decision are not convincing at all. There is only one reason: I was excluded due to my beliefs and political views,” Kanter noted.

Coach Ataman justified his decision to exclude Kanter at a press conference at İstanbul’s Abdi İpekçi Sports Hall on Tuesday by saying that he had twice tried to contact Kanter but the Turkish center did not return his call. The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government launched a battle against the Hizmet movement in late 2013 following the exposure of a graft and bribery probe in which senior government members were implicated. Accusing the movement of having orchestrated the probe, the government has since waged a war on Hizmet-affiliated schools, banks, media organizations and individuals. Kantar is thought to have become the latest victim of the AK Party’s battle against the movement as he had previously revealed his links to the Hizmet movement, which preaches tolerance and interfaith dialogue between Islam and other religions.

Kanter, a 23-year-old basketball sensation who joined the Oklahoma City Thunder in February after almost four years at the Utah Jazz in the American National Basketball Association (NBA), said in his statement this week that even though he was not called up for the national team, he would support Turkey at the 2015 European Basketball Championship. “Now it is time for us to unite. Now we need to cast everything aside and support our team fully. Even though I am upset that the opportunity to serve the Turkish nation was taken away from me, we should focus on Turkey’s success in the championship,” Kanter said.

Veteran sports commentator Altan Tanrıkulu made a comparison in a piece published in the Zaman daily on Wednesday between the players who were included in the squad and Kanter. New Orleans Pelicans’ Ömer Aşık’s season average is two points and 7.3 rebounds per game and Detroit Pistons’ Ersan İlyasova has averaged 8.7 points and 4.3 rebounds over the last season. However, Kanter finished the last season with averages of 15.5 points and 8.9 rebounds, respectively.

Hundreds of Twitter users have also supported Kanter with the hashtag #EnesKantersMilliAyıp (National shame over Enes Kanter) and criticized Ataman on the grounds that he made the decision because Kanter has revealed his links to the Gülen movement.

Kantar, who was voted Most Valuable Player (MVP) in the 2009 FIBA Europe Under-18 Championship while leading Turkey’s junior national team to the bronze medal, has been accused of arbitrarily rejecting the national team in the past. A smear campaign was launched against Kanter after the national team lost warm-up games before the 2013 European Championship.

However, Kanter rejected accusations that he left the national basketball team in the lurch in the 2013 European Championship in Slovenia and the 2014 World Cup in Spain, stating that he has always been proud to serve the Turkish national team.

Source: Today's Zaman , June 24, 2015


Related News

Suspicious raid against Hizmet-affiliated highschool famous for its success

The raid came just two days after Turkey’s Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) announced the results of the Higher Education Entrance Examination (YGS), which revealed that students from Gülen-inspired schools are among the top scorers of the exam, casting doubt on the objectivity of the raid.

Bedridden mother dies of hearth attack after daughter arrested over Gulen links

A bedridden 86-year-old woman dies of heart attack days after daughter, who had been looking after her for years, was arrested by a court over links to the Gülen movement.

Woman gave birth while in detention, handcuffed to bed by police

A Turkish woman who was arrested when she was eight months pregnant has recently been released after giving birth while incarcerated. Turkeypurge.com reached out to the victim, who spoke about her experiences under arrest. She preferred not to reveal her identity due to concerns over Turkey’s socio-political environment.

Outgoing chairman proudly admits Istanbul Bar Association refused to serve Gülen followers

The Istanbul Bar Association has turned down sympathizers of the Gülen movement who requested lawyers for their hearings in the post-coup trials, the outgoing president Ümit Kocasakal said on Saturday.

Alaton: I’m telling everyone about Turkish schools’ contribution to world peace

On June 12, the Turkish Olympiads children from around the world visited the businessmen Ishak Alaton and Mustafa Suzer. Referring to the Turkish Olympiads event as a “grand organization”, Ishak Alaton said he’s been telling his circle about the Turkish schools’ high quality education and contribution to global peace. The Olympiads children, who have been […]

EU Criticizes Kosovo, Turkey Over Deportation Of Six Erdogan Political Foes

The European Union on April 3 criticized Kosovo’s deportation of six Turks who were political foes of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, saying it “raised questions” about both Pristina’s and Ankara’s “respect” for human rights.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu awarded Medal of Honor in Peru

Fatih University wins European Universities Championship

Watch your mouth

Turkey Systematically And Deliberately Jails Women As Part Of Fear And Intimidation Campaign

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

Gülen Community and Gülen’s Reminder

Strategic Defamation of Fethullah Gülen

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News