Indonesia rejects intervention over schools’ alleged links with Gulen

Horizon International School, Indonesia
Horizon International School, Indonesia


Date posted: July 29, 2016

Jakarta (ANTARA News) – Indonesia rejects any intervention with the country’s internal affairs including over alleged links of a number of Indonesian Islamic boarding schools with Fethullah Gulen, a popular imam, accused by the Turkish government of masterminding a recent failed coup attempt in that country.

Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung said here on Friday Indonesia is a democratic country that consistently adopts active and independent policy.

Fethullah Gulen is a popular Turkish imam, the founder of the Islamic Transnational Religious and Social Movement, now living in the United States.

He was repeatedly accused by the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of being behind the recent failed coup attempt by a faction of the Turkish military.

On Thursday (July 28) the Turkish embassy issued a news release asking the Indonesian government to close all schools having links with Fethullah Terrorist Organization (FETO).

The release gave a list of 9 schools allegedly having links with the Gulen movement including 1. Pribadi Bilingual Boarding School of Depok, 2. Pribadi Bilingual Boarding School of Bandung, 3. Kharisma Bangsa Bilingual School in South Tangerang, 4. Semesta Bangsa Bilingual Boarding School in Semarang, 5. Kesatuan Bangsa Bilingual Boarding School in Yogyakarta, 6. Sragen Bilingual Boarding School in Sragen, 7. Fatih Boys Shool in Aceh, 8. Fatih Girls School in Aceh, 9. Banua Bilingual Boarding School in South Kalimantan.

Earlier on Friday Religious Affairs Minister Lukman Saifuddin said the Indonesian Government is still studying the request.

He said the Religious Affairs Ministry wants to know if the Turkish government referred to public schools or Islamic schools having any links with Gulen.

“If what they referred to is Islamic schools, it would be for the Religious Affairs Ministry to answer, but otherwise it would be for the Ministry of Education to answer,” he said.

After studying the request the Indonesia government would officially send its answer via the Turkish embassy here, the minister said.

However, Pramono said until now there has been no official request from the Turkish government as said in the news release issued by the embassy.(*)

Source: Antara News , July 29, 2016


Related News

Turkey requests extradition of Fethullah Gülen but not for coup attempt, says US

The US has confirmed it has received a formal extradition request from Ankara for the Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, but not over the July coup attempt the Turkish authorities has accused Gülen of orchestrating.

Fear Grows in Turkey as Crackdown on Gulen Followers Continues

The Turkish authorities are continuing their crackdown on followers of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is being blamed for a failed military coup attempt. With tens of thousands of people arrested, opposition parties are starting to voice concern that the crackdown is turning into a witch hunt.

My Father, Academic, Arrested In Turkey Purge

13 days have passed since my father was taken from us by the police and we still did not have a chance to speak with him. His lawyers predict that it may take up to at least six months until he goes to the court. The most painful moment was when I saw in the news that 14 militants linked to ISIS, from whom the police captured AK-47s, were released on the same day. Turkey now views my father and his colleagues more dangerous than ISIS militants.

Cleric Accused Of Plotting Turkish Coup Attempt: ‘I Have Stood Against All Coups’

“If they ask me what my final wish is,” Gulen added, “I would say the person who caused all this suffering and oppressed thousands of innocents, I want to spit in his face.” When asked if he was referring to Erdogan, he replied: “It can’t be anyone else. He is the oppressor.”

Kyrgyz president: Those calling Turkish teachers terrorists should see a doctor

Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev has said those who view as terrorists teachers working at the Gülen-linked SAPAT educational institutions in the country need treatment and should see a doctor.

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

Ethiopia has illegally transferred a school run by German investors to Turkey’s state-run Maarif Foundation, Turkish Minute reported, citing the manager of the school.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bias about Gulen Movement in light of The Economist column

Kimse Yok Mu uplifts orphans in Tacloban

Hizmet Essay Contest 2015

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

Turkish schools holding Indonesia’s largest science olympiad

Hundreds gather in front of Silivri Prison to protest media crackdown

As Turkey Gears Up to Vote, Its ‘Traitors’ Speak Out

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News