Hizmet-affiliated schools removed from private school incentive list


Date posted: September 5, 2014

BURCU ÖZTÜRK/ BETÜL TANRISEVEN/ / ISTANBUL

The Ministry of Education engaged in scandalous discrimination on Thursday by crossing off Hizmet-affiliated schools at the eleventh hour from the list of private education institutions that students who are entitled to state financial assistance can enroll at.

The Hizmet schools were in the original list of those institutions which met all the criteria for eligibility to receive financial incentives to accept these students. Announced on Monday, the schools were listed on the ministry’s website until Thursday afternoon, when they were taken off without any explanation. However, an official written notice sent from the ministry to governorates on Thursday said: “It was not deemed proper to give such incentives to education institutions whose managers are under fiscal investigation and interrogation within the scope of the Law No. 5549 on the Prevention of Laundering of Crime Revenues and those that had received punishments fiscal irregularities after due inspections before,” and asked the governorates do what the notice requires.

Students and their guardians who were planning to send their children to these schools, which have the reputation of offering the highest standard of education in their provinces, reacted to this last-minute change, saying such a move “was completely illegal and arbitrary.”

Bayram Kaya, whose child was chosen to receive financial assistance for private school enrollment, said they were planning to make their preferences and they were surprised to see that the school which they had picked in the originally announced list had been taken off the updated list. “This kind of unlawfulness is not acceptable. We want this illegal practice to be stopped immediately,” he told Today’s Zaman.

The Education Ministry’s initial list included 4,361 schools but 360 of them were later removed. A sensational article from pro-government media outlet Star on Wednesday titled “Incentive blow to parallel [state]” claimed the schools that had not benefited from the private school incentives were mostly those known to have affiliations with the Hizmet movement. The daily falsely claimed that these schools are under financial investigation and are far from meeting the financial criteria set as private school standards by the ministry. The same report also claimed that the Hizmet-affiliated schools which were in the incentive list will soon be subjected to a financial investigation and will shortly be taken off the list.

As part of its controversial move to transform dershanes — private tutoring institutions which prepare students for entrance exams — into private schools, the Education Ministry started an incentive program this year for families to encourage them to send their children to private schools, which offer a far better education to students than crowded and generally ineffective public schools. The program envisages contributing about TL 3,000 per child in several installments to the private schools in turn for a reduction in fees.

The system has been criticized for its scope and problems in selecting children. For instance, in Siirt province, applications from a total of 190 children were accepted for the private school incentive program but the only private school in the province was not in the list of eligible schools. Likewise, in the provinces of İzmir, Konya, Kayseri, Gümüşhane and Tunceli, numerous private schools were not given a place in the eligibility list despite the fact that they met the standards and they were in a strong financial position.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 4, 2014


Related News

Shining Turkish schools cement Iraq’s social unity

Children from a variety of ethnicities and religious groups attend these schools and sit side by side, scattered all across Iraq. Sunni, Shiite, Christian, Assyrian and Yazidi students study together in the classroom and play together in the schoolyard.

Erdogan’s ego eclipses Pakistan-Turkey ties

In Pakistan, where more than 27 million children remain out of school, every teacher and educational institution matters. The Turkish non-governmental schools in question are ranked among the best in terms of in infrastructure, as well as quality of education and character-building.

Fethullah Gülen: Turkey is being dragged into a civil war

Issuing a press statement following the latest terrorist attack in Turkey on Saturday, Muslim scholar Fethullah Gülen claimed that Turkey is being dragged into a civil war but underlined that sympathizers of the movement sometimes called after him would always remain peaceful no matter how they are treated.

Arbitrary intrusions and dangerous liaisons

If the AKP leader can publicize the mistakes made during the Sledgehammer and Ergenekon trials and convince the public that these were committed by overzealous prosecutors linked to the Gülen movement, it will be easy for him to make a comparison with the corruption allegations against his government.

IFLC: Promoting Intercultural Dialogue

In Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, there are institutions linked to “Hizmet” or “volunteer movement” better known as “Gulen Movement”, by the name of the person who inspired it, Fethullah Gulen, Turkey. It is an educational, intercultural and interfaith movement, transnational, with a presence in almost every country in the world. These institutions in the Dominican […]

Turkish Schools will Build Bridges between Nigeria and the World

Nigerian Minister of Federal Education Prof. Ruqayyatu Ahmed Rufai also spoke at the inauguration of the conference organized with the participation of several scholars from Africa and other countries and the sponsorship of 6 Nigerian Universities. Kerim Balcı, Abuja – November 19, 2011 Turkish ambassador to Nigeria Rıfat Köksal has said that seventeen Turkish Schools, […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Erdogan Is Already Making the Most of His ‘Gift From Heaven’ After Coup Attempt

Who benefits the most from the AKP-Gülen movement rift?

Turkish newspaper ‘Zaman’ shuts down in Germany amid ‘threats’

Turkish American ‘balance alignment’

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey

Erdoğan’s Baku visit will not close Hizmet schools

Purge-victim businessman sent back to prison a week after stomach cancer surgery: son

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News