Hizmet-affiliated educational institutions succeed in TEOG exam

Students who attend the Anafen Dershaneleri prep schools pose with friends to celebrate their success in the TEOG exams held in November and December 2014. (Photo: Cihan)
Students who attend the Anafen Dershaneleri prep schools pose with friends to celebrate their success in the TEOG exams held in November and December 2014. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: January 17, 2015

The results of the Transition from Primary to Secondary Education (TEOG) exam that was administered on Nov. 26-27 and Dec. 13-14 to eighth graders across Turkey show that students who prepared for the exam in Hizmet movement-affiliated schools did better than those who studied in other institutions.

The Ministry of Education announced the results of the TEOG exam on Jan. 9, a postponed date, after three separate students filing complaints against two exam questions.

Colleges and prep schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement, a grassroots education and interfaith dialogue movement that operates institutions internationally, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s views, are often successful and students do extremely well in public exams and international science Olympiads.

Some 1.2 million eighth graders took the TEOG exam. Students were asked 120 questions on language, mathematics, science and technology, history, foreign languages and ethics. The ministry announced that 67 students took the TEOG exam at their homes, three from hospitals and 6,121 from halls for single students in exceptional health or disability cases.

Anafen Dershaneleri Diyarbakır Director Mustafa Kaya told Today’s Zaman that 52 students who attended prep courses in Anafen in cities in southeast Turkey answered all 120 questions correctly. According to Kaya, 16 students in Diyarbakır, 15 in Şanlıurfa, eight in Batman, four in Adıyaman, three in Mardin, two in Şırnak, two in Muş, one in Bingöl and one in Bitlis scored 100 percent.

Flaws in the education system are largely compensated for by preparatory schools that help students prepare for centralized high school and university exams at affordable prices.

Parliament passed a law earlier in 2014 to close these schools, which led to public anger that the absence of preparatory schools will deal another blow to the already low level of education in the east and southeast and draw young people in the regions into the hands of terrorist organizations. According to the law, introduced by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, prep schools will not be allowed to operate from Sept. 1, 2015 onward.

In a big success story in Şanlıurfa province, 12 students from private Çağlayan Okulları answered all 120 questions correctly on the TEOG exam. The total number of students who scored 100 percent in Şanlıurfa is 15. The school’s other 14 students answered 119 questions out of 120 correctly.

Ömer Faruk Ceylan, an eighth-grade student at Mehmet Nezih Erdem Koleji in Midyat, a district of Mardin province in southeast Turkey, scored 100 percent. Ali Onur Koç from the same college answered 119 out of 120 correctly and two other students, Hazalnur Kızılbulut and Murat Erol, correctly answered 117 questions.

Eleven students from private Kahramankent Middle School, another Hizmet-affiliated school, in Kahramanmaraş province correctly answered all 120 questions on the TEOG exam. School Director Alparslan Kömüşçü said planned and systematic preparation for the exam brought success to their students. Kömüşçü added that he expects more students will answer all the questions correctly in the next semester’s TEOG exam.

All seven students from the private Fatih Koleji in Karabük province and Erkul Eğitim Kurumları in Kocaeli province scored the highest possible marks. Five students from Kastamonu’s private Saka College and all four from Edirne’s private Fatih Serhat Koleji, Nigde’s private Sungur Koleji and Amasya’s Private Yavuz Selim Top Koleji were also among the top scorers on the TEOG exam.

The TEOG exam was adopted at the beginning of the 2013-2014 academic year as a new high school admission mechanism, replacing the previous Level Determination Examination (SBS) exam. According to the TEOG system, eighth-graders must take 12 exams in six subjects during the academic year. Students take six tests in the fall and the second half of the full set of exams during the spring semester.

İstanbul’s Fatih Koleji, Ankara’s Samanyolu and Atlantik Okulları and İzmir’s Yamanlar Okulları, which have been put under pressure by the AK Party government, picked up 64 medals out of 120 in November 2014 in the 22nd National Science Olympiad and the 19th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools. The schools’ names were not announced after the winners’ names for the first time at the award distribution ceremony on Nov. 19.

Some private schools, Fatih Koleji, Samanyolu, Atlantik and Yamanlar Okulları among them, which are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, have been targeted by the AK Party and government circles since Dec. 17, 2013, when a massive corruption and bribery scandal implicating AK Party circles became public. President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accuses the Hizmet movement and its sympathizers in the state bureaucracy of being behind the Dec. 17 operations targeting government corruption.

Source: Today's Zaman , January 15, 2015


Related News

Foes on the Run as Erdogan Makes Power Personal

Members of the Gulen religious movement insist they are innocent of plotting against President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Turkey, but he has chased them into the shadows, and they fear for their lives and livelihoods. At the same time, Mr. Erdogan has increasingly made himself the face of Turkey’s state, and now he is seeking more authority to rule.

Hizmet’s approach to politics and politicians

Hizmet movement gets its strength from this independence. Because the movement gets money from no other sources than its own volunteers, it does not take orders. No doubt this is why certain people are made so uncomfortable right now by the Hizmet movement.

Turkish journalist at daily Bugün is threatened

A journalist at the Ankara branch of the daily Bugün has claimed that he received a threatening phone call which he describes as “insulting and discomforting.” The threat follows recent similar claims by Cüneyt Özdemir, a writer at the newspaper Radikal and anchor of the 5N 1K program broadcast by the CNN Türk TV station.

Laotian President Sayasone hosts Turkish school officials

Choummaly Sayasone, the president of Laos, has hosted officials from a Turkish school in the country at the presidential palace, saying that the Turkish school is a gift for their country.

I am concerned: Erdoğan and elections

Current developments are disturbing. It does not take an oracle to guess that when the elections get even closer, the country will move further towards insanity if Erdoğan does not change his stance on a number of issues and cease his ferocious rhetorical tactic of designating every critic a traitor. Hrant Dink was assassinated as a result of such a campaign of hate.

Gülen speaks to Kurdish paper, renews his support for education in mother tongue

Well-known Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has voiced strong support for education in one’s mother tongue, in reference to allowing the use of Kurdish in education in Turkey, and said basic human rights and freedoms could not be the object of any political bargaining as they are the natural rights of human beings. Speaking to […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s message to his sympathizers in the aftermath of the coup attempt

Turkey’s purges continue a year after failed coup

An in-depth Interview with TUSKON President Meral

Systematic Efforts by the Erdoğan Regime to Portray Hizmet as a Violent Organisation

Gülen extends condolences to coal mine victims

Turkish expats in Singapore concerned over state of emergency back home

Fethullah Gülen strongly condemns US consulate attack, extends condolences

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News