Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)
Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 22, 2014

Lawyers representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have filed a complaint against two İstanbul prosecutors who are conducting an investigation into their client, accusing them of violating procedural rules in the manner the probe is being conducted.

The prosecutors have also lied on many occasions in writing, according to Gülen’s lawyers, who say that the prosecutors who launched an inquiry into Gülen eight months ago have found that the inquiry has not been registered on Turkey’s online judicial system UYAP.

The lawyers have filed a petition against Fuzuli Aydoğlu, a prosecutor at the İstanbul Prosecutor’s Office Organized Crime Bureau, and Deputy Chief Prosecutor Faruk Erşen Yılmaz with the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK), for violating procedural conduct.

It also emerged as a result of the lawyers’ petition that an inquiry had been launched into Gülen on Dec. 13, four days before Dec. 17, when a massive corruption investigation into the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) became public. The AK Party has responded to the graft allegations by removing police officers and members of the judiciary from their current positions and reappointing them into less influential positions or expelling them completely where they can. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims that a parallel structure affiliated with the Hİzmet movement, inspired by Pennsylvania-based scholar Gülen, is behind the corruption probe, although he has produced no proof to support this claim. Several businessmen close to the government as well as the sons of three ministers were detained in the investigation on Dec. 17. However, the probe has stalled after the government took the prosecutors conducting it off the case in response to the allegations leveled against it.

In addition to the two prosecutors who violated procedural rules when they launched an investigation into Gülen, the scholar’s lawyers also filed a complaint against Latif Erdoğan and Ahmet Keleş — two individuals who testified as witnesses against their client. The lawyers accuse them of perjury and slander.

The lawyers have also established that a separate investigation — based on false press reports — had been launched into Gülen. There have been earlier reports of a plot against the Hizmet movement, which the government has publicly vowed to “destroy.” The government has since been harassing all institutions it believes are sympathetic to the movement through methods such as shutting down dormitories or removing the signboards of educational institutions.

Fikret Duran, a lawyer for Gülen, said the irregularities in the investigation against his client are evident. In his petition, he demanded that the HSYK give the appropriate punishment to the prosecutors.

Duran said earlier that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office responded to an inquiry by Gülen’s lawyers as to whether or not there are any ongoing investigations about their client. Prosecutor Erşen Yılmaz in writing stated, “No investigation file has been found.” However, pro-government media reported shortly after this incident that an investigation was in fact in place, citing a case number. This time, the lawyers were able to acquire a copy of the documents pertaining to the investigation. They found that the correspondence they had with the prosecutor — including his response saying there were no formal inquiries into Gülen — also existed among these documents. “This indicates that the chief prosecutor has provided us with untruthful information, in spite of the fact that he was in the know about the investigation into our client.” Duran also said that the file had not been recorded in UYAP, another violation indicating a clear attempt to hide the fact that an investigation had been launched.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 21, 2014


Related News

Fethullah Gulen’s new book “The Struggle for Renewal” sold 200,000 in 20 days

Fethullah Gulen’s new book [written in Turkish] “The Struggle of Renewal,”* the last of Broken Pot series published by Nil Publications, sold 200.000 in 20 days in Turkey. Gulen’s books are guiding ones, which address to and suggest solutions for the needs of society”. Yilmaz Simsek, NT Stores director of Book Category, said the book […]

The Gülen community and the AKP

TAHA AKYOL The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), which is in line with Fethullah Gülen, has issued an announcement on relations with the ruling party. It is certain that Gülen made the last retouches on the text himself. Gülen defines the movement shortly as “Hizmet” (translated roughly as “service” in English). I asked those who […]

An instructive crisis

The links revealed between the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and the Kurdish Communities Union (KCK), which have been maintained by MİT to embrace Kurdish politics and blur the line between legal and illegal activities, were not surprising to anybody because, in terms of its personnel, MİT is still a military organization. ETYEN MAHÇUPYAN, Thursday February […]

Hizmet is not a terror group, they embraces the entire human family

I’m saddened to hear that the Hizmet Movement here is being categorized as a terror group. To classify them as terrorists in any form is a great misrepresentation. And I consider it a privilege and an honor to be associated with them and to be part of the brotherhood. They’re a benefit to the Muslim community and humanity as a whole.

Illegal raid against Bank Asya spells disaster for Turkey, says TUSKON head

“The raid on Bank Asya is a violation of the right of proprietorship and a murders the entrepreneurial spirit,” noted the president of the Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists of Turkey (TUSKON), Rızanur Meral, in an interview with Bugün TV.

Gulen factor in Turkey’s turmoil

Gulen Movement is a unique case of global social innovation based on the sanctity of education and inter-faith dialogue in a number of respects.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Probe launched into daily Taraf for attempting to cause chaos

Report: Turkey Mulling Attack On Fethullah Gulen

GYV slams slanderous accusations seeking to link Hizmet to terrorist PKK

History teacher gives birth to her third child in prison

Hizmet really has expanded my understanding of what it means to be human.

Switzerland: Number of Turkish asylum-seekers more than doubles

The world needs more song and dance than war – Mbete

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News