Gov’t pressure to shut down Turkish schools sparks outcry


Date posted: April 6, 2014

ANKARA

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government’s attempts to shut down Turkish schools abroad that are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, have sparked an outcry among opposition figures and diplomats, who criticize the government for “abusing education because of personal hostility.”

 

After several reports that circulated in the media stated that Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu sent orders to Turkish embassies to take steps towards the closure of the Turkish schools, opposition figures and diplomats raised their voices against such an attempt, saying, “Shutting down schools is completely a political and ideological attempt.”

The faith-based Hizmet movement administers a wide network of schools and more than 2,000 educational establishments in more than 120 countries around the world. These schools provide education to thousands of students and are well known for their achievements in the International Science Olympiads.

The attempt to shut down the schools comes at a time when the Hizmet movement has been subjected to a smear campaign from the Turkish government, whose prime minister and many high-level officials are implicated in a sweeping corruption scandal that became public on Dec. 17, 2013.

Former Turkish Foreign Minister Yaşar Yakış has also criticized government’s attempt, saying those schools have always been a “source of pride” for Turkey and that closing them would be a big mistake.

“The closure of these schools is totally an ideological matter. If the schools carry out something against the national education’s curriculum, then what is needed could be done. However, closing schools is an indication of personal hostility. The government should act within a legal framework. Closing schools is equivalent to medieval thinking,” said Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) deputy Yusuf Halaçoğlu.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Faruk Loğoğlu has also reacted to Erdoğan’s attempts to close the schools. “This is totally a political decision. From every aspect, this decision is based on animosity and is wrong,” said Loğoğlu.

Regarding Davutoğlu’s instructions to Turkish embassies and representatives, Loğoğlu stated that the Foreign Ministry does not have the authority to order the closure of schools in other countries, and that deciding to close those schools would be in “violation of laws” as they are not public but private schools.

Last month, parents of students at Yavuz Selim School in Kanifing, Gambia, received a letter announcing its immediate closure. According to reports, the national education authorities of Gambia reportedly sent a one-sentence letter to the school’s principal ordering the school’s immediate closure, and the principal in turn sent a letter to all parents announcing the government’s decision to close the school.

Following this, Gambian authorities reportedly ordered the immediate closure of the school. Yavuz Selim School was established in 2010 and served students of various nationalities. The school provided an international school curriculum and was described as “not for profit.”

When asked about reports that the school in Gambia received compensation for its closure, Loğoğlu replied: “I would not be surprised [the Turkish government]. It would close it [the school] through money. Anything can be expected from this government.”

Education should not be abused for personal hostility

Observers say the closure is a clear an example of Turkish pressure on governments to shut down Gülen schools abroad.

Türk Ocakları Chairman Nuri Gürgür also said that the closure of these schools would be a serious mistake and added that those schools effectively represent Turkey abroad. Entrepreneurs affiliated with the Hizmet movement consider the Olympiads to be the schools’ most important activity, as they represent Turkey and the Turkish language.

“Closing the schools that keep Turkey’s name alive in foreign countries would be a very bad decision. Considering that these schools provide quality education, closing those schools would mean nothing but only revenge. History would not forgive this,” said MHP Deputy Reşat Doğru.

Recent reports say that Erdoğan personally asked Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani to close Turkish schools in the autonomous region of Iraq during Barzani’s visit to Turkey in mid-February, according to sources close to the KRG prime minister. Erdoğan also called on the administration of Pakistan’s Punjab region to shut down its schools linked to the Gülen movement.

“It is unacceptable for the prime minister to carry his animosity to the area of education. Education should not be an instrument of personal hostility. It is not ethnical to pursue hate rhetoric by means of our children,” said CHP parliamentary group deputy chairman Engin Altay.

Closing schools is a dictatorial attempt

CHP’s Mahmut Tanal also criticized the government’s attempt to shut down the schools abroad, saying that such an attempt would drag society into darkness. “Shutting down schools is a method that dictators apply in order to prevent the public from being enlightened,” said Tanal.

Grand Unity Party (BBP) leader Mustafa Destici described the attempt to shut down the school as a “shame.” “It is inexplicable to see the Turkish government complaining about its schools abroad while many other foreign countries are trying to establish their own schools in abroad,” said Destici.

Davutoğlu defended the instructions given to the Turkish embassies and representatives abroad for the closure of Hizmet-affiliated schools there. Speaking to the reporters on the sidelines of his meetings in New York, where he went to gather support for Turkey’s pursuit of non-permanent membership on the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) for the 2015-2016 term, Davutoğlu said that the reason behind the orders was that a number of civil society representatives sent letters to foreign officials in which they expressed their complaints about Turkey.

Davutoğlu, who did not give details regarding the content of the letters, said that for the sake of their duty, they should take measures. When asked whether Turkish schools sent those letters to foreign officials, Davutoğlu replied: “Not the schools [themselves], but well-known civil society organizations and representatives from those institutions sent the letters,” said Davutoğlu.

“I wouldn’t say this if I hadn’t been asked, but I mean the [Turkish] schools in the United States… Some civil society representatives complain about their own countries by sending letters to foreign officials. Some foreign officials conveyed those letters to me. We have the right to question whom these efforts serve,” said Davutoğlu.


Despite smear campaign, Somalia says it stands by Turkish schools

Contrary to reports circulated by pro-government Turkish newspapers claiming that an investigation has been launched by Somalia against Turkish schools in the country, Somali authorities claimed no such investigation had been launched and said they would continue to support Turkish schools.

Mohammed Omar, a member of the Somali parliamentary committee for foreign affairs, has stated that Somalia is happy with the work carried out by the Turkish schools in the country. “Four schools and a hospital have been established in Somalia. They provide services up to global standards. We Somalis will always be with the Nil institutions [affiliated with the Hizmet movement] and we will always support them,” Omar said.

Somalia has been struggling with civil war and drought for a long time, and Turkish schools have played a prominent role in rebuilding the education system in the country, despite the fact that the schools were opened only two years ago.

Nil institutions, which have been increasingly active in Somalia, have achieved 22 medals in international student Olympiads.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 6, 2014


Related News

Said-i Nursi: An Ottoman Scholar in Turkish Republic

The saying goes as “The death of a wise man is like the death of the universe.” Those who can combine intellectual capacity with a purified spirit are like the enlightening candles of the world. As the Quran told us, among human beings only the wise men can have a true respect to Allah, because they are unprecedented examples of standing against cruelty, unswerving determination and constant struggle.

Erdoğan draws ire from all segments of society over bid to close Turkish schools

Members of opposition parties, prominent businessmen and figures in the education world have severely criticized President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for campaigning for the closure of Turkish schools in African countries that are affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is a former ally of the president.

Turkish schools helped start trade with Turkiye

ARİFE KABİL, KENAN MEHMETZADE – İSTANBUL John Dramani Mahama, the President of Ghana, spoke in Istanbul at the Turkiye-Ghana Business and Investment Forum, which was organized by TUSKON- The Confederation of Turkish Industrialists and Entrepreneurs. He said that Turkish schools provided with qualified employees in his country. Mr. Mahama invited Turkish entrepreneurs to do more investment and open more […]

8 detained in police raids on İzmir schools as Erdoğan’s witch hunt continues

Eight people were detained on charges of forging documents in police raids on 30 private schools established by volunteers from the faith-based Gülen movement early on Tuesday in İzmir, as part of a Justice and Development Party (AAK Party government-orchestrated operation targeting the movement.

Romanian gov’t congratulates Turkish schools for international achievements

Turkish schools’ teachers and students were among those presented with awards in a ceremony at the Prime Ministry in Romania in order to celebrate international achievements in the field of education.

US voices concern about press freedom over Karaca’s arrest

The United States has expressed concern about press freedom in Turkey in regards to the Samanyolu TV network’s top executive, Hidayet Karaca, being arrested after a media crackdown on Dec. 14, saying that it is continuing to address these concerns to Turkish authorities.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Sacrificing a legend for a shoebox*

Compensation case filed against Erdoğan for targeting Gülen-inspired schools

Fethullah Gülen’s lawyers fear attacks on his life amid calls for return to Turkey

New Mother Detained Over Alleged Gülen Links Despite Doctor’s Objection In Turkey

Turkish Martyrs Day: Rumi Forum marks heroics of Turk soldiers

Clifton Mayor Anzaldi receives Diversity Award

IFLC Sydney 2016

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News