Germany: Turkish Intel’s spy list may be deliberate provocation

German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere
German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere


Date posted: March 31, 2017

Germany’s interior minister said Thursday that Turkey’s intelligence agency may have given its German counterpart a list of suspected supporters of a U.S.-based cleric to “provoke us in some way.”

Last month, Turkey’s MIT agency handed German intelligence a list of some 300 alleged supporters of Fethullah Gulen thought to be living in Germany, among them reportedly a German lawmaker.

Officials have said Turkey asked the Germans to put those people under surveillance.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere told ZDF television that he suspected the move may have been intended to weigh on Turkish-German relations, “to provoke us in some way.” He said he didn’t believe it was meant as a contribution to anti-terrorist reconnaissance.

The Turkish government claims Gulen supporters were behind a July coup attempt. Gulen denies orchestrating it.

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim acknowledged that an MIT undersecretary gave Germany’s intelligence chief a file on Gulen’s movement at a Munich security conference. Yildirim told Turkish broadcaster NTV the exchange was routine and he condemned the way the information has been treated in Germany.

“Unfortunately, of course, intelligence organizations share such information with each other. This should not be leaked to any side,” he said. “But it is clear that this information in Germany was given to government sources and they used it. This is, first of all, not ethical. It does not fit intelligence practices.”

Source: ABC News , March 30, 2017


Related News

Ottawa urged to expedite residency process for those fleeing oppression in Turkey

Human rights advocate Renée Vaugeois wrote a letter asking Immigration Minister Ahmed Hussen to expedite the Edmonton man’s residency application. She thinks that this is a targeted war on a specific group of people in Turkey and to her that speaks to genocide.

‘Escape from Turkey’ recounts stories of post-coup crackdown victims fleeing Turkey

A recently published book titled “Escape from Turkey” tells the first-hand story of two people who were forced to flee the country to avoid a crackdown launched by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government on Gülen movement members following a failed coup in 2016, local media reported on Monday.

Heightened anxieties in Kosovo after arrest of ‘Gulenist educator’

A civil servant: “Tens of thousands of people, educated people, academics, journalists, lawyers, and many others, are scattered around the world for different reasons and are trying to find a safe place where they can be sheltered and continue their lives with their families. The Ugur Toksoy case was the point when Kosovo’s level of safety, or its breaking point, was put to test.”

Erdoğan’s allegations proven to be incorrect, contradictory over time

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has over time turned out to be wrong or self-contradictory in his allegations over a number of issues in the past few years, which has cast doubts on his credibility as well as the credibility of his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government in the eyes of the people.

Chorepiscopus Yusuf Sag: Fethullah Gulen’s service is admirable

Chorepiscopus Yusuf Sag, Vicar General and leader of the Syriac Catholic Church in Turkey: “I wish every country had its own Fethullah Gulen. I watched the students performing at the recent Turkish Olympiads in admiration. They all sang in Turkish like angels. I have to ask: Is it better that they sing Turkish songs or hold guns in their hands?”

Champion of YGS university exam from Hizmet-affiliated FEM prep courses

The champion of this year’s Higher Education Exam (YGS) university entrance examination, Oğuz Türkyılmaz, who prepared for the exam with the Hizmet movement-affiliated FEM University Preparation School in Malatya, says he owes most of his success to his prep school teachers.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turks most honest donors to Somalia, says minister

Kazakh-Turkish high schools win 16 medals in science competition

Steller: For Turks, post-coup purges make U.S. safe harbor

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Sri Lanka Explosions

After Fethullah Gülen’s demise what will happen to the Hizmet Movement

Wife: Jailed Former Prosecutor, Heavy Cancer Patient, Needs Urgent Health Care

Hunger…

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News