Former politicians call on candidates to publicize personal assets


Date posted: December 29, 2013

ANKARA
One hundred politicians who previously served in Parliament, including former ministers, issued a declaration on Saturday calling on the candidates in the upcoming local elections to declare their personal assets to the public to prevent allegations of bribery and corruption.

“Education, prevention and investigation processes [in the fight against bribery and corruption] are important. We perceive the declaration of personal assets by mayoral candidates, candidates for provincial and municipal councils on the eve of local elections and in the proceeding election calendar as a measure against bribery and corruption. We do not have the right to lose hope. We hope for democracy and good governance. Elections are an opportunity, a chance [to this end],” read the declaration. The local elections are planned to be held in March 2014.

The Cabinet was shaken by the resignations of three ministers on Wednesday over a sweeping corruption and bribery investigation, with one of the ministers calling on Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to step down as well.

Economy Minister Zafer Çağlayan and Interior Minister Muammer Güler announced their resignations earlier in the day. They denied any involvement in corruption or bribery and said their resignations were aimed at helping the “truth to come out.”

However, Environment and Urban Planning Minister Erdoğan Bayraktar, in a harsh statement, claimed that he had been pressured to submit his own resignation to save the prestige of the government, adding that the prime minister should also quit as most of the amendments on construction plans mentioned in the corruption investigation were made on Erdoğan’s orders.

Former deputy prime ministers of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Ertuğrul Yalçınbayır and Abdullatif Şener, former Justice Minister Hikmet Sami Türk, former Tourism and Promotion Minister Orhan Birgit, former Transportation Minister Enis Öksüz, former Finance Minister Zekeriya Temizel, former Commerce and Culture Minister Agah Oktay Güner, former Culture Minister Namık Kemal Zeybek, and former state ministers Tayfun İçli and Ufuk Söylemez are among the 100 politicians who have signed the declaration.

“We are going through a process in which bribery and corruption allegations have become prevalent and even institutionalized,” the declaration read. “Everyone has rights, duties and responsibilities to have better communication, participation, rule of law, openness, transparency, accountability, auditing, equality, activity and strategic vision,” it added.

The resignations came eight days after the launch of the investigation which resulted in the arrests of the sons of Çağlayan and Güler as well as over 20 other suspects, including Halkbank General Manager Süleyman Aslan and Iranian-Azerbaijani businessman Reza Zarrab.

In response, Prime Minister Erdoğan spoke at the AK Party’s expanded provincial chairmen meeting and called the corruption operation an “international plot” supported by some collaborators within the country who aim to sow discord in Turkey. In several explicit references to the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, the prime minister claimed that the operation was orchestrated by “gangs” and a “parallel state.” He also said the operation has cost Turkey some $20 billion.

In addition, Erdoğan criticized the definition of the operation as a corruption and bribery operation, which he said is aimed at discrediting some “people already proven to be clean.” “If there is a flaw in the legal system, we will fight against it within the area of our authority. We are a political party that acts with principles,” he said, adding, “We will get rid of the rotten ones,” in a veiled reference to AK Party members who are involved in corruption and bribery.

The prime minister also directed criticism at the opposition parties which have lashed out at the AK Party government over corruption claims. He said the opposition parties were already involved in unlawful practices, including corruption and fraud, and thus have no right to speak out against the government.

The declaration states that in the fight against bribery and corruption all powers — the legislative, the executive and the judiciary– as well as all state agencies and institutions, the private sector, nongovernmental organizations and the public need to cooperate and to have an action plan.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 29, 2013


Related News

Turkish PM Yıldırım names July 15 coup attempt as ‘project’ he did not like

In remarks that fueled suspicions even further that the Turkish government was involved in a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said on Thursday that July 15 was a “project” he did not like or approve of.

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

The manager of a private school linked to the exiled Turkish preacher Fethullah Gülen was released on bail by a Tbilisi court on Monday. Mustafa Emre Cabuk was arrested in May, 2017 in what appeared to be a case of pressure exerted by Turkey on Georgian authorities to crack down on institutions associated with Fethullah Gülen.

UK Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee Hearing on Gülen and the Hizmet Movement

The UK Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee is examining the bilateral relationship between the UK and Turkey, focusing on rights and freedoms as well as how Turkish foreign and security policies relate to those of the UK. The inquiry is ongoing.

Final declaration of the 33rd Abant Platform: “Turkey direction”

Participants in the 33rd Abant Platform, which ended on Sunday in the northwestern town of Akçakoca, agreed that Turkey has lost its direction in both its domestic and foreign policy, saying the way to rectify this is to restore its commitment to the accession process into the European Union and the rule of law at home.

Conceptual contradictions when it comes to rhetoric about ‘parallel state’

.In the wake of the Dec. 17 corruption operations that took place in Turkey, the government removed and changed such an extraordinarily high number of people from their positions in the police force, the justice system and the national education structure that these changes certainly would not have been possible in a state of law. An attempt was made to see these changes happen within the framework of heavy propaganda about the concept of the existence of a “parallel state.”

Fear Grows in Turkey as Crackdown on Gulen Followers Continues

The Turkish authorities are continuing their crackdown on followers of Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen, who is being blamed for a failed military coup attempt. With tens of thousands of people arrested, opposition parties are starting to voice concern that the crackdown is turning into a witch hunt.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Georgetown University in Qatar professor authors book on interfaith dialogue, Hizmet Movement

Gülen urges Turkey to preserve, advance achievements in democratization

Turkish schools and the race in philanthropy!

US lawmaker says Gülen should not be extradited, calls his movement strongest element against radical Islamists

Fethullah Gülen: Turkey is being dragged into a civil war

Turkey seizes another baklava maker over coup charges, appoints deputy governor as caretaker

Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel honors Fethullah Gulen with Peace Award

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News