The Erdoğan mafia

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: July 23, 2014

İHSAN YILMAZ

Turkey is now run by a mafia. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is at the top of this organization. He has created parallel financial, social, religious and legal structures to maintain this mafia organization. Since he was not able to fully control the judiciary, he has now created a new and extraordinary court system that is filled with loyal, partisan judges and it has now started to do whatever Erdoğan asks it.

Erdoğan is so intoxicated with power that he does not hide what he has been doing with these courts. A few weeks ago, he reportedly said that the government was now creating new courts that would deal with the Hizmet movement. Yesterday, he had a lapse and confessed that the recent detentions would also spread to other areas. How could he know the details of a judicial case? He referred to journalists, academics and businessmen affiliated with Hizmet. Depending on the polls, he may decide to detain these people before or after the presidential election.

For eight months he has been talking about a judicial coup against him, but with no proof. Even some of his supporters have started questioning the credibility of these allegations. He had to do something. Moreover, his cheap rhetoric on the Palestinian problem has been challenged and he has been asked to “walk his talk” or stop abusing the problem for domestic electoral considerations. Previously, he had a rhetorical monopoly over the issue but for the first time, he has begun to wish that the Palestinian issue was not talked about in Turkey. This is another reason for the recent detentions. He wants the public not to talk about the Palestinian problem and the Turkish diplomats who are in the hands of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL). So, he is now trying to distract the public’s attention.

His new courts are very helpful in this. A single judge decides about everything and suspects can only object to these decisions in front of another single judge who is also in this newly created court structure. This is a kind of closed system and the suspects can be kept in prison for months before they see a serious court. The newly appointed judges are known for their pro-Erdoğan stance and some of them are the ones who have released Dec. 17 corruption suspects. Erdoğan is not only the prosecutor in the anti Hizmet case but he is the chief judge.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 23, 2014


Related News

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Assassination of Russian Ambassador to Turkey Andrey Karlov.

An Indian professor’s reflections on Erdogan’s visit to India, crackdown on Gulen movement

There has been no evidence of any terrorist activity by the followers of Gulen in any part of the world including Turkey. In India, they have been running their institutions: schools, coaching Institutes, and dormitories for more than 15 years, but none has been accused of any kind of terrorism and crime.

Erdoğan gov’t abusing regulatory agencies to punish opponents

Pressuring state regulators to abuse their powers, the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government has mounted an aggressive campaign to punish groups and companies that are critical of the government’s handling of a massive corruption investigation, which has led to questions about the credibility and independence of regulatory agencies in Turkey.

Terrorism charges against Karaca do not make sense, CHP leader says

The leader of the main opposition party has implied that the recent arrest of Hidayet Karaca, the general manager of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group (STV), on charges of heading a terrorist organization does not make sense as there is no solid evidence against the suspect.

Opposition lashes out at terror investigation against Kimse Yok Mu

Opposition deputies have shown strong reactions to a shocking investigation being conducted by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office against prominent charity organization Kimse Yok Mu on charges of terrorism, defining the probe as an “oddity of law.”

Gülen urges patience over prep schools row

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen expressed unhappiness over government [in Turkey] plans to abolish educational institutions that assist high school students to prepare for the national university admission examination and urged people to be patient in the face of this move, which is interpreted as a blow to education in the country.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Erdoğan’s scapegoats: the West and Gülen

Kimse Yok Mu uplifts orphans in Tacloban

Is the Hizmet movement resisting normalization?

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Kosovo President: Arrest of Gulenists was wrong

TÜBİTAK changes olympiad scoring system, penalizes private schools

Islamic scholar Gülen responds to Turkish PM’s ‘lair’ remark in heated row over graft probe

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News