EP discusses transparency call for Hizmet


Date posted: February 12, 2014

BRUSSELS

A European Parliament (EP) committee discussed on Wednesday a proposal, calling on the Hizmet movement to increase transparency, a call backed by the movement.

The proposal has been tabled as a proposed amendment to an annual report on EU candidate Turkey, drafted by Dutch Christian Democrat Ria Oomen-Ruijten. The measure, known as the 87th amendment proposal, was taken up at the Committee on Foreign Affairs.

The proposal both criticizes the way the government handled a corruption investigation involving ministers and businessmen close to the government and calls on the Hizmet movement to increase its transparency.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has dismissed corruption accusations and called the investigation a “coup attempt” by the Hizmet movement, inspired by teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and foreign collaborators.

German Liberal parliamentarian Alexander Graf Lambsdorff defended the measure during the debate at the Committee on Foreign Affairs, saying it would be useful if representatives of the Hizmet movement would brief the European Parliament. He cited the case of journalist Ahmet Şık, who is facing trial in the Ergenekon coup case and was invited to the EP to talk about his case.

But rapporteur Oomen-Ruijten appeared to be opposed to the idea, saying the Parliament’s interlocutor is none other than the Turkish government.

The proposal, tabled by members of European Parliament (MEP) Andrew Duff, Marietje Schaake, Sarah Ludford and Ivo Vajgl, seems unlikely to be cleared by Parliament. EP sources talking to Today’s Zaman said other political groups in the EP are not inclined to vote for the 87th amendment proposal because majority of MEPs believe that the government should be under the spotlight for its interventions to derail the corruption probe.

The government has ordered the reassignment of thousands of police officers and scores of judges and prosecutors after the investigation went under way on Dec. 17.

In a letter dated Jan. 20 that was sent to all members of the EP, the Brussels-based Intercultural Dialogue Platform (IDP), whose honorary president is Gülen, stated that it welcomes calls upon the Hizmet movement to improve its transparency and accountability.

The letter said that the Hizmet movement had not received any such official call from the EP, but that it continues to invite and welcome scrutiny as it has in the past.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 12, 2014


Related News

Watson points to new authoritarianism in Turkish gov’t’s relations

“A new authoritarianism can be seen in the government’s relations with business and the media, and towards protests,” the British member of the European Parliament (MEP) and leader of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe party said in his letter.

People happy in town Kimse Yok Mu helped build

Kimse Yok Mu has been operating in Pakistan since October 2005, when an earthquake devastated the north of the country. The foundation has so far dug 178 wells in Pakistan, and there are 86 wells currently under construction. Across Pakistan, 800,000 people benefit from the clean water provided by the foundation and its donors. The total aid provided by Kimse Yok Mu to the people of Pakistan exceeds $30 million.

The Hizmet (Gulen) movement and transparency

Erkam Tufan Aytav Some groups have been parroting, “The [Gülen] Community should become more transparent.” As you know, with “the Community,” they are referring to the Gülen movement. Let us try to understand this sentence and respond to it. First of all, I need to note that when they say, “the Community,” they are referring […]

Turks Should Question The Official Narrative That Gulen Was Behind The Coup

I am not trying to absolve one side or the other. The coup attempt was a heinous assault on Turkey’s civilian politics and the plotters must be punished in a fashion that deters similar actions in the future. What I am trying to understand is why everyone agrees that Gulenists did it when there is little evidence and that is even questionable.

Threat to destroy the Hizmet Movement a hate crime

Erdoğan’s harsh attacks on the Hizmet movement, consisting of followers and sympathizers of Fethullah Gülen, reached a summit when he stated on Tuesday, “from A to Z everyone in this organization needs to pay the price. Either they will accept the presence of this state or they will disappear.”

PBS airs story on Gülen movement

Public Broadcasting Service (PBS) program Religion and Ethics NewsWeekly featured a story on the Gülen movement on Friday, quoting well-respected American observers, as well as the movement’s members and admirers. The 10-minute-long story by PBS correspondent Luck Severson gave information on the movement, which is a group of volunteers engaged in interfaith and intercultural dialogue […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

PBS airs story on Gülen movement

Tentacles of Turkey’s growing autocracy reach Thailand

Kimse Yok Mu and MASFED to open hospital in Ethiopia

Refugee helps refugees

Half a million people in Turkey subject to prosecution over Gülen links: ministry

Global event held to foster harmony

Turkey’s top Muslim cleric visits Turkish school in Cameroon

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News