Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him


Date posted: February 21, 2014

İSTANBUL

Independent deputy İhsan Barutçu denied telling the Star daily that the Hizmet movement had plotted against him, after the daily ran a headline on Friday with a quote from the deputy.

Star quoted Barutçu as saying that a religious community might have been responsible for filming sex tapes of his affair — sex tapes that were published on the Internet and led to his expulsion from the Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) prior to the July 2011 national elections.

Although the perpetrators of a plot to ruin Barutçu have not been found by the state authorities, Star implied that the Hizmet movement had filmed the tapes in an effort to “influence politics.” Referring to the Hizmet movement as a “parallel organization,” Star implied that Barutçu himself had also accused the movement of filming the videos.

“I neither used the word ‘parallel state’ nor ‘cemaat’ [Hizmet movement] in my remarks,” Barutçu said, adding that he would have openly identified the perpetrators had he known who they were. The deputy said that “despite all the problems and sufferings” the scandal had caused, people should avoid accusing others without evidence.

Barutçu also said that since the incident — which altered his political career — he has been asking those in Parliament to consider his case and help him uncover who is behind the plot.

When reporters at Parliament mentioned that Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had said he himself had prevented further exploitation of the tapes, Barutçu pointed out that his former party knows just “who applauded and who booed” the incident when it happened.

In its report, which Barutçu claims is false, Star said a prosecutor named Ekrem Beyaztaş illegally tapped Barutçu’s phones between March-June 2011, shortly before the sex tapes were leaked.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 21, 2014


Related News

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

A new report from the Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) titled “Tortured to Death” exposes the case of 42-year-old history teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu. The report details every day he was kept in custody, where he was repeatedly beaten. The government documents, medical reports, independent opinions and witness statements obtained by SCF show his death was not due to natural causes.

GYV gathers politicians, diplomats at iftar dinner in Turkish capital

“Ramadan is a time of compassion and mercy. In these blessed days, when patience and tolerance prevail, we once more remember love, peace, modesty, cooperation and living for others,” Gülen’s message said.

Religious communities under threat in Turkey

These operations might have targeted the government in some respects, but so far no concrete evidence has been produced about deliberate, systematic and willful inclusion of the Hizmet movement in this plot. It is true that the Hizmet movement’s media group has been lending support to the graft and bribery investigation.

Erdogan’s False Promises To Africa

The main issue Erdogan raises with his African counterparts is not improving economic and political relations, but the closure of the Gulen movement schools or their transfer to the Turkish Maarif Foundation, which was established solely for this purpose. Mr. Erdogan seems to be using official development assistances and “other financial tools” as carrots to convince African leaders.

Keep Incirlik, Extradite Gülen?

A true ally would not try to obstruct the international campaign against the Islamic State for the sake of a leader’s personal vendetta. To acquiesce to the extradition [of Fethullah Gulen] would be to signal that it’s open season to blackmail the United States.

Gov’t pins hope on division in Turkey as Erdoğan resorts to hateful speech

In an attempt to divert pressure from public opinion from him, Erdoğan is waging a war against the Hizmet (Service) movement, which has openly called on the government to clamp down on the wrongdoers and clean politics of dirt.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Islamabad High Court: No plan to close Pak-Turk schools

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

60-year-old Turkish villager detained after questioning gov’t coup narrative

Africa pledges further cooperation with Turkey based on mutual respect

Minister Yazici Visits Turkish Schools in Yemen

Professors in Gaziantep profiled alongside students

KCK, Gülen, AKP: shifting alliances?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News