Award ceremony cancellation on Parliament’s agenda

Seleme Gülen is a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen whose ideas inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement.(Photo: Today's Zaman)
Seleme Gülen is a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen whose ideas inspired the faith-based Hizmet movement.(Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: July 17, 2014

EMRULLAH BAYRAK / ANKARA

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) Deputy Chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu spoke in Parliament on Wednesday about the cancellation of the award ceremony of a short film contest after the competition was won by Seleme Gülen, a relative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Bringing the issue to the floor of Parliament, Tanrıkulu submitted a parliamentary question to Education Minister Nabi Avcı, querying whether the cancellation resulted from discrimination against Seleme Gülen and asking the ministry to confirm rumors that screenings of the short film by the Ministry of Education were also to be canceled.

Tanrıkulu also asked if the award, which comes with a cash prize of TL 15,000, had been canceled in addition to the ceremony.

The award was to be represented to the contest’s winner with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Education Minister Ömer Dinçer and other high-ranking government officials in attendance, prior to being canceled.

In her short film, titled “Apprenticeship,” Gülen highlighted the process of beginning training in the workplace.

Ministry of Education officials have been pursuing a comprehensive investigation to check whether the winners of contests held by government institutions are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, and the realization that Seleme Gülen was a relative of the Hizmet leader resulted in the cancellation of the ceremony.

The award of TL 15,000 has not yet been presented to Seleme Gülen.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 16, 2014


Related News

In A Letter, A Jailed Woman Reveals Abuse And Ill-Treatment In Turkish Prison

A letter by a jailed Turkish woman who wrote to her aunt from Konya prison revealed the ill-treatment of detainees who were subjected to abuse, inhuman and cruel treatment in Turkey’s detentions and prisons.

Former minister inquires about secret plot against Gülen movement

Former minister with ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) İdris Naim Şahin has submitted a lengthy inquiry to the Turkish Parliament, asking if there is a secret plot against members of the Gülen movement and if the government has mobilized all its resources to gather evidence through any means.

‘Erdoğan signed MGK decisions to curb Gülen movement that Ecevit resisted’

Democratic Left Party (DSP) Chairman Masum Türker has said that controversial decisions made by the National Security Council (MGK) to curb the activities of the Gülen movement were ignored by former Prime Minister Bülent Ecevit in 2000 but signed by then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Aug. 25, 2004.

Turkey’s Coup Provides Reichstag Fire Moment for Authoritarian Erdogan

Unfortunately, the botched coup is likely to act like the infamous Reichstag fire under the Nazis and accelerate the Erdogan government’s race to the dictatorial bottom. He is likely to become more vindictive and paranoid—because he does have enemies everywhere. Never mind that he bears responsibility for the authoritarian policies and corrupt practices which have energized his most fervent opponents.

Turkey torture claims in wake of failed coup

Kamil continues. “‘If you don’t speak, we’ll bring your wife here and rape her in front of your eyes’, they said. Then they took me to a dark room and tried to forcefully insert a baton into my anus. When they couldn’t do it, they left. Maybe I will forget the other torture – but for the sexual part, it is carved into the dirtiest corner of my heart.”

Turkey’s Ankara Mayor Gökçek Hints ‘Genocide’ For Followers Of Gülen Movement

Melih Gökçek, the mayor of Turkey’s capital city Ankara, has hinted a kind of “genocide” for alleged members of faith-based Gülen movement in an interview. He said that “Completely annihilating Gülen movement in Turkey will take our 10 year. In order to finish them completely we need to transform whole generation.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Islamic scholar gave Buddhist point to ponder

34 housewives arrested over Gülen links in İstanbul

Foreign Affairs: Turkish government’s ‘Global Purge’ targeted opponents in at least 46 countries

Guests Rub Elbows With Senators, Mayors At 2012 Greenville Dialogue Dinner

Columnist sees Gülen ‘conspiracy’ in ruling against Israel

Kimse Yok Mu lends helping hand to 1,650 Somali families during Ramadan

Where is Turkey going? (2)

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News