Another ‘coup suspect’ found dead in Turkish prison, bringing total to 21


Date posted: November 11, 2016

Burak Açıkalın, an engineer who was dismissed from Turkey’s Directorate of Intelligence and arrested following a failed coup on July 15 due to alleged involvement in the attempt, was found dead on Thursday in a prison in Turkey’s Kırıkkale province.

The pro-gov’t Hürriyet daily reported that Açıkalın committed suicide in his cell. Açıkalın’s death was the 21st suspicious suicide among people affected by an ongoing witch-hunt against alleged coup suspects.

An autopsy will be performed as part of an investigation into his death.

Kızılarslan had been serving as an engineer at the directorate and accused of passing secret information to Fuat Avni, an anonymous Twitter user with nearly 3 million followers.

Avni has a credible record of uncovering corruption and irregularities among government officials. He claims to be in the inner circle of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

At least 21 people have reportedly committed suicide either after they were imprisoned over ties to the movement or after being linked to the movement outside prison. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide, shedding doubt on the official narrative. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody. (Turkey Purge)

Source: Turkish Minute , November 10, 2016


Related News

86-year-old man in 11th month of his arrest on coup charges

Ali Osman Karahan, an 86-year-old Turkish man with walking and speaking difficulties has been kept in an Isparta prison for almost 12 months over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, which Turkish authorities accuse of being behind a failed coup attempt in July of last year.

(Not a joke) Turkish governor: ISIL terrorist detonated himself in construction site not to harm neighbors

Following the detonation of an Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) terrorist in Turkey’s Gaziantep province on Sunday, the governor told reporters that the suicide bomber detonated himself in a construction site in order not to cause problems for the neighbors.

AK Party’s Deputy Günay joins intra-party opposition to prep school ban

Another deputy from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) has criticized a recent government plan to shut down prep schools, saying that these institutions are not the cause of problems in the education system but a consequence of the current system. Günay’s remarks come one day after the AK Party referred Kütahya deputy İdris Bal to the party’s disciplinary board for expulsion after he opposed the government’s plan to close prep schools.

Will Turkey’s assassinations reach America?

There is no longer any doubt that Turkey conducts operations in the United States against Turks and Kurds with whom Erdogan disagrees. That problem will likely get worse as Erdogan digs in his heels and demands the extradition of exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. While Turkish officials have turned over reams of papers detailing why Turkey believes Gülen is a malign influence, none of the evidence Turkey has provided actually implicates Gülen in the events of July 15.

Intel chief first gives anti-Hizmet file to Obama, then visits Gülen, STV president Karaca says

Turkey’s National Intelligence Organization (MİT) Undersecretary Hakan Fidan gave a file containing a plan to finish off the Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen to US President Barack Obama and then the MİT head visited Gülen at his home in Pennsylvania, Samanyolu Media Group Chief Hidayet Karaca stated on Tuesday.

Why Is Turkey Targeting Hizmet? Questions about Erdoğan’s Post-Coup Crackdown

In May 2009, I received an award at the International Turkish Olympiad. The event was sponsored and organized by members of the Hizmet movement and most of the performers were students of Hizmet schools abroad. When I, together with a handful of other recipients, mounted the stage to accept our awards, there to shake our hands was the smiling then prime minister of Turkey, Recep Tayyib Erdoğan.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

200 public servants sue PM over ‘parallel state’ statements

Global Muslim networks: How far they have travelled

Mass firings in Turkey: ‘We have been given a social death sentence’

Dr. Ergil answers 100 questions about Fethullah Gülen and his movement

Gülen’s Dialogue on Education: A Caravanserai of Ideas

Anti-Hizmet plot no more innocent than practices of coup periods

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News