AK Party gov’t behind anti-Hizmet declaration, leaked recordings allege


Date posted: March 19, 2014

İSTANBUL

A joint declaration by a number of civil society organizations to proclaim open support for the government during debates over the closure of dershanes (prep schools) was concocted by the advisors of the Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and some associations were forced to lend their support, according to a number of new leaked recordings.

 

The National Will Declaration was published in almost all Turkish newspapers on Dec. 5 of last year amidst heated debates over the transformation of the dershanes into ordinary schools — which some have viewed as a direct assault by the government on the Hizmet movement — to hail the government for its achievement in term of democratic steps it had taken, especially emphasizing the termination of the era of the Feb. 28, 1997 post-modern coup. The Hizmet movement runs a considerable number of prep schools across Turkey to help financially disadvantaged students perform better in high school and university examinations.

Investigative journalist Mehmet Baransu had claimed even before the publication of the declaration that the government was behind it and was compelling some organizations to announce their support. The recordings, uploaded onto YouTube on Tuesday evening by Twitter user “Haramzadeler” (Sons of thieves), could well have confirmed these rumors. The phone conversations were intercepted legally, a text in the video clip claims.

In the tapes, Erdoğan’s advisors Mustafa Varank and Aydın Ünal call representatives of some civil society organizations and religious communities to solicit their support for the declaration. In some recordings, they are even heard discussing pressurizing those who are reluctant to put their names and logos underneath the text.

In one phone conversation, Varank purportedly asks Nail Olpak, the chairman of the Independent Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (MÜSİAD) to lend support, but Olpak voices his reservations about the wisdom of publishing the declaration at a time when debates seemed to be fading away. It may reignite the controversies, he says to Varank, who responds that there won’t be any problems.

In another call, Varank talks to Selim Cerrah, the deputy chairman of the civil religious movement İlim Yayma Cemiyeti. He says that the purpose of this declaration is to isolate the Hizmet movement and to show that they lack popular support in their struggle against the government over the closure of the dershanes. The Hizmet had been defending the dershanes as private enterprises for the good of the community, claiming that closing them using legal means was an open breach of fundamental human rights.

In another voice recording, Aydın Ünal speaks with an unknown person. He is heard maligning the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH) and the Civil Servants’ Trade Union (Memur-Sen) for their reluctance to voice their support for the declaration. Ünal tells the man on the other end of the phone that they were “on the verge scratching them [the İHH] out” and that “their attitude is ‘queer’,” using a Turkish slang term for homosexuality. Ünal thought that the İHH was dragging its feet after finding the text a bit lenient and they want its tone to be even more tough. Memur-Sen’s reluctance was due to the fact that the debates were dying down and that such a declaration may reignite them. Ünal tells the other man that the Memur-Sen may be convinced to show their support if they are told that Erdoğan is personally behind the declaration.

A final set of recordings are allegedly between Erdoğan’s son Bilal and Fatih Saraç, deputy chairman of the Ciner Media Group. They discuss a fee of TL 26,000 for the publication of the declaration and Bilal asks Saraç to take care of it. Saraç says in response that there is no need to worry about it and that no cost will be incurred.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 19, 2014


Related News

The Dutch Turkish community must speak out about the anti-Gülen violence

Labour MP Ahmed Marcouch calls on Turkish-Dutch organisations to speak out about violence and intimidation and to build bridges instead. There’s a silence and it’s hurting my ears. It’s the silence that surrounds the violence against the Gülen supporters. What happened to the organisations normally so quick to ask for protection against intolerance? Where are […]

Factory settings of Turkey as a nation-state

ABDÜLHAMİT BİLİCİ 18 May 2012 If we were to give a title to an article discussing the problems most heatedly debated in Turkey, I think the best option would be “Woes of transitioning from an empire to a nation-state.” It has been no easy task to transform a multi-faith, multi-lingual and diversity-dominated empire into a […]

Dangerous and unnecessary tension

MARKAR ESAYAN Turkey has been experiencing heated tension over the prep school issue for a while. And unfortunately, the discussion was taken out of the educational context and has become a political issue. The Taraf daily, in its recent reports and with the official documents it published, argued that the Justice and Development Party (AK […]

Gülen denies ‘groundless’ Stratfor claims of pressure on AK Party

8 March 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Well-respected Turkish intellectual and scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied recent media reports based on leaked e-mails from security analysis company Stratfor that said members of his movement were putting pressure on the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in order to control the party. Gülen said through his lawyer […]

Mysterious visitors to holdings

Reports of certain visitors paying “unexpected” visits to various Turkish holdings and company headquarters are currently being spread in economy circles. As these guests are connected or close in some way or other to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP), their visits can hardly be perceived as routine. These influential people are not making their visits for a cup of coffee. They send a short and clear message to the chairman of the executive board or to the general director, asking them to make a statement criticizing the Hizmet movement.

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

Turkish teacher Fatma Ozturk was detained just after she gave birth to her baby at Ege Umut Hospital in Manisa’s Turgutlu district while police handcuffed her to a bed she is resting on.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turks most honest donors to Somalia, says minister

Mavi Marmara and Gülen’s critics: politics and principles

Turkey wants NBA star jailed for insulting President Erdogan

Hizmet school ready to pioneer education in Kurdish

Dozens of US Congress members urge Kerry to press Turkey for freer media

Some states use religion for wars, says Catholic Bishop in İstanbul

Erdoğan admits gov’t capitalized on coup attempt to pursue Gülen movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News