Afghan Students, families baulk at Turkey taking over schools


Date posted: April 22, 2017

Mirabed Joyenda

A number of parents of students at Afghan-Turk Schools on Saturday said at a meeting in Kabul they support the continuation of the schools in the country and do not want control to be handed over to the Turkish government.

The Afghan-Turk Schools students also wrote a letter to Afghan and Turkish government leaders and said they do not want the schools to be handed over to the Turkish government.

“Recently we have been very sad because we have been accused of being terrorists. Our schools, for no reason, are being handed over to someone else,” said one student, Gulbahar.

The management of Afghan-Turk Schools also said the schools will continue to operate as usual.

Three months have passed since classes started at our schools. We launched the project that was planned last year for Khost province. We continue our services as regular and free of issues around a handover,” said Ahmad Fawad Haidari, the deputy director of Afghan-Turk Schools.


A number of parents of students at Afghan-Turk Schools on Saturday said at a meeting in Kabul they support the continuation of the schools in the country and do not want control to be handed over to the Turkish government.


Ahmad Neman, a student at an Afghan-Turk school, joined the school two years ago and is in grade eight.

Neman’s father said handing over the schools to the Turkish government will have a negative impact and the move would not be a positive change for students.

“Let’s simply ignore terrorism. We want schools and we are against terrorism. No one wants his children to become a terrorist,” Abdullah Dawi, Neman’s father said.

“99 percent of the students do not want the school to be handed over,” said Neman.

Currently between 7,000 and 8,000 students are studying at Afghan-Turk Schools in Kabul, Balkh, Kandahar, Nangarhar, Herat and Jawzjan provinces.


The Afghan-Turk Schools students also wrote a letter to Afghan and Turkish government leaders and said they do not want the schools to be handed over to the Turkish government. “Recently we have been very sad because we have been accused of being terrorists. Our schools, for no reason, are being handed over to someone else,” said one student, Gulbahar.


Thousands of students have graduated from these schools over the years.

In February, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk Schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation [Maarif Foundation] which is a government institution.

This step was not welcomed by the affected schools.

Afghan-Turk Schools were supported by Fethullah Gulen, head of Gulen movement. After the failed military coup in Turkey last year, tensions between President Rajab Tayeb Erdogan and Gulen increased. Erdogan ordered all countries to handover the schools to the Turkish government.

Afghan-Turk Schools has been active in Afghanistan for 20 years.

 

Source: Tolo News , April 22, 2017


Related News

Turkish family, kidnapped in Pakistan, deported to Turkey Saturday morning

Ex-director of a Turkish schools in Pakistan, Mesut Kaçmaz, and his family have allegedly been deported to Turkey days after they were abducted from their apartment in Lahore, according to the friends of the family.

From Islamophobia to ‘Hizmet-phobia’

An important person who was praising an intellectual in Northwest Africa said, “I wish we [Turkey] had such scholars with far-reaching foresight.” He was right, because the intellectual that he mentioned provides an excellent example for others in his works and lifestyle. But he was also wrong in a sense, because we have several scholars […]

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

Helton Silva Malambane, a software developer from Mozambique who previously worked with the now-shut-down Fatih University, was detained by police at his residence in İstanbul over links to the Gülen movement, whose sympathizers the government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15. Twenty-seven-year-old Malambane was detained after police received anonymous tips about him.

Ex-ministers call on gov’t to abandon efforts to shut down Turkish schools

Reactions are growing in the face of the government’s effort to close Turkish schools abroad that are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Albania Ignores Erdogan’s Tirade Against Gulen

Albanian officials have made it clear that Albania is not planning to act on demands by Turkey’s President for the country to close down the Gulen movement.

TUSKON challenges Erdoğan to enter business, defies threats

In the strongest civil society reaction yet to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s month-long offensive tone and threats against Turkey’s largest Islamic group, the Hizmet movement, a leading business confederation affiliated with Hizmet on Saturday called on Erdoğan to quit politics and join the business world to make money.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Prime Minister Erdogan’s Revenge

Turkish Cultural Center Holds Annual Friendship Dinner

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

Fethullah Gulen’s new book “The Struggle for Renewal” sold 200,000 in 20 days

Ruling AKP officials downplay tension with Gülen movement

Brazilian senator impressed by Hizmet investments in education

Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News