Corruption or spies?

İhsan Yılmaz
İhsan Yılmaz


Date posted: January 8, 2014

İHSAN YILMAZ

It is crystal clear that Erdoğan will use his majestic media and state power to continue his psychological war campaign to dodge questions about alleged corruption cases related to some of his ministers, very close friends and even relatives.

He wants the nation to believe that there is an international conspiracy against his very “successful” government and these international actors — such as the CIA, Mossad, the Jewish lobby, the interest rate lobby, etc. — have been using a Hizmet-movement-affiliated gang nested in the state. His media outlets have been fabricating news stories on a regular basis. We can easily understand that they fabricate almost all of these news stories for two main reasons: First, those who are being libeled and accused of crimes vehemently deny these fabricated news stories, and these outlets cannot provide satisfactory evidence to back up their claims. Second, instead of firmly standing behind their fabricated news, Erdoğan’s media outlets move on to other newly fabricated stories. It seems that they will continue in this manner, but with a fiercer attitude.

During the Gezi Park protests, Erdoğan tried to present the problem as being secularists — represented by the Republican People’s Party (CHP) — versus practicing Muslims — represented by him. He also gave the impression that he initially liked the tension. While on a foreign trip to North Africa with Erdoğan, Nagehan Alçı, who is very close to him, even wrote that Erdoğan’s inner circle was evaluating the Gezi tension as beneficial, since it was increasing the votes of the Justice and Development Party (AKP). That is why, after returning back from the trip, Erdoğan reignited the chaos that was fading away as a result of the messages of President Abdullah Gül, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç and some of his ministers. Out of the blue, he even stated that he would demolish and rebuild the Atatürk Cultural Center (AKM) in Taksim and that he would build a mosque next to it. These two issues were very sensitive ones for the secularized sections of society. He went further and kept claiming that the Gezi protesters had been consuming alcohol and kissing in a mosque near Taksim. He even said that they did even more “inappropriate” things. Erdoğan repeatedly and very confidently kept saying that they had video footage of everything that had happened in the mosque. A few weeks ago, a prosecutor submitted his indictment regarding Gezi to the court and, guess what, there was no mention of the inappropriate activities that allegedly took place. But just after Gezi, I visited several places in Anatolia and almost all of Erdoğan’s voters were thinking that these inappropriate things had happened in the mosque. Since Erdoğan was so powerfully and repeatedly advocating these allegations, they believed him.

He is trying it again. First, Cem Küçük of Yeni Şafak, a staunchly pro-Erdoğan daily, implied that the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) — whose honorary chair is Mr. Fethullah Gülen — has been receiving confidential security documents of the Turkish state from the “Hizmet junta” in the state and handing them over to foreign intelligence agents. Küçük wrote that very soon a judicial case will be launched against this junta-gang-spy ring. Then, Erdoğan started voicing these allegations, but with less detail. He referred to the GYV’s recent meeting with EU ambassadors in Ankara. The photos of this meeting were posted on the website of the GYV. The EU ambassadors had such meetings to understand Turkey, and they had them with others, including Erdoğan’s own ministers. But, who cares? Many of his voters heard only his allegations and not the denial of the GYV and the EU ambassadors. Erdoğan also told his followers in several cities that the US ambassador was behind the recent plot against his government. He was simply repeating a huge headline of Yeni Şafak. Later, it emerged that the Turkish Foreign Ministry communicated to the US government that the Turkish government does not believe in this rubbish. Yet, again, Erdoğan’s audience only heard his side of the story. As the Gezi incidents very convincingly have shown, Erdoğan only cares about the 50 percent and does not care what the rest thinks. So this is what he is now doing.

Nevertheless, the panic his government is currently exhibiting suggests that his voters may not be convinced this time.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 8, 2014


Related News

Pregnant female judge held in prison in dire conditions speaks out

We go to see the doctor with our hands cuffed. It is good enough for me to see the doctor say my baby is OK. It doesn’t even come to my mind to ask about its weight, height and how it looks like.

5,166 Turkish citizens sought asylum in Germany during January-November

According to data from the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, there has been a rapid rise in the number of Turkish people seeking asylum in Germany since a failed coup attempt on July 15. Germany received asylum applications from a total of 5,166 Turkish citizens during the January-November period of 2016, according to a story in Deutsche Welle on Sunday.

Erdogan’s persecution: Mother with infant under arrest until husband surrenders self

Dilek Sağlam, a teacher and mother of a 10-month-old baby, has been under arrest since June 12 because her husband could not be found by the police. Sağlam has a 5-year-old daughter who is unable to continue her treatment due to her mother’s arrest. Sağlam’s father was told that his daughter would be released only if his son-in-law surrenders to the police.

Turkey-Japan Media Forum kicks off in İstanbul

Many journalists from Turkish and Japanese media outlets will participate in the forum, during which the attendees will discuss the role of media in terms of multiculturalism and coexistence, the perception of Turkey in the Japanese media and the perception of Japan in the Turkish media, the relationship between media and democracy and new media tendencies in the digital era.

Six heads of organized crime unit dismissed as hundreds relocated in new police purges [just after an operation against al-Qaeda]

The new relocations come as two heads of anti-terror units who conducted an operation against al-Qaeda and raids against a local branch of the Humanitarian Relief Foundation (İHH) charity were dismissed on Jan. 14.

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (3)

Emre Uslu, Sunday January 1, 2012 In a previous article I examined the media campaign against the Ergenekon trials and discussed Ahmet Şık. As I mentioned, the impact of Şık’s arrest was exaggerated because he was allegedly writing a book criticizing the Gülen movement’s influence in the police force, and his arrest was to prevent […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Pineapple republic!

Discussing identity, multiculturalism and peace-building in Indonesia

Can Washington Ever Welcome a Nonviolent Muslim?

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condemnation on the Bombing in Manchester, UK

Bringing Peace While Breaking Fasts

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Chorepiscopus Yusuf Sag: Fethullah Gulen’s service is admirable

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News