Kimse Yok Mu officials hand out aid with flashlights in rain

Despite the persistent rain, Kimse Yok Mu distributed aid packages by flashlight throughout the night to Rohingya Muslims sheltering in Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in Myanmar. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
Despite the persistent rain, Kimse Yok Mu distributed aid packages by flashlight throughout the night to Rohingya Muslims sheltering in Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in Myanmar. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: August 3, 2012

MEHMET YAMAN

Despite the heavy rain, Kimse Yok Mu, a Turkish charity, continued distributing aid packages throughout the night with the aid of flashlights to Rohingya Muslims who have taken shelter in the Cox’s Bazar district of Bangladesh from the ongoing violence in their home country, Myanmar.

Having distributed aid packages to 23,000 Rohingya Muslim refugees in Bangladesh through the incessant rain since they arrived in the region, the organization aims to help 60,000 refugees by the weekend. Refugees form long queues to receive the aid packages. One of the refugees, named Khaleza, said that she and her 4-month-old baby are grateful to Turkey, as they could not have survived if it wasn’t for the Turkish food packages. The aid packages the organization distributes contain 15 different basic food items such as rice, sugar, oil and potatoes and weigh 20 kilograms. Organization officials say that one aid package allows a family to survive for a month. The organization also hosts iftars (fast-breaking dinners) for the refugees.

Meanwhile, Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) Secretary-General Ekmeleddin İhsanoğlu said his organization was working day and night to get more aid to Myanmar.

Speaking at an iftar in Jeddah on Monday, İhsanoğlu said they launched an international campaign to raise awareness about the continuing violence in Myanmar. “We are going through difficult days. My team and I have been making considerable efforts to get the world’s attention on what is going on in Myanmar,” he said.

As part of its campaign, the OIC is to hold meetings in the capitals of several OIC member countries, he further said.

İhsanoğlu said a meeting will be held on Aug. 3 in Malaysia, where the members will discuss the situation in Myanmar and possible solutions. In addition, a United Nations envoy has traveled to western Myanmar to investigate the communal violence that has left at least 78 dead and tens of thousands homeless.

Tomas Ojea Quintana flew to Arakan state on Tuesday for a first-hand look at the cities and towns where mass rioting and ferocious violence erupted last month between the ethnic Arakan (Rakhine) Buddhists and Muslim Rohingyas.

The first glimmer of violence in Myanmar occurred in June after claims that three Rohingya Muslims raped a Buddhist woman. In response, fanatical Buddhists started killing Muslims living in Arakan province and burned houses and workplaces belonging to the minority group. Rohingya Muslims are not seen as citizens of Myanmar by Myanmar’s leaders, officials and fanatic Buddhists, and as a result are exposed to discrimination.

Arakan Muslims, who escaped the massacre in Myanmar, have taken shelter in camps in the border villages of Bangladesh’s Cox Bazaar district and are struggling to survive in difficult weather conditions in makeshift camps. According to UN sources, as a result of attacks by security forces targeting Muslims, nearly 100,000 people have left their homes since the beginning of the ethno-religious tension.

Source: Today’s Zaman 31 July 2012


Related News

100,000 blankets campaign by Turkish-American groups in US media

“Officials in Loudoun and Fairfax counties organized the first blanket drive last year after several local politicians, including Loudoun County Board of Supervisors Chairman Scott K. York and former Purcellville mayor Robert W. Lazaro, visited a refugee camp in Turkey and said that they were profoundly affected by what they saw: Thousands of Syrian refugees, many of them children, all crowded together in a sea of small tents,” The Washington Post wrote.

Islamabad High Court moved against expected closure of Turkish schools

The Islamabad High Court yesterday issued notices to ministries of foreign affairs and interior in a petition moved against any possible step of the government to close down the schools being run by Pak-Turk Education Foundation.

Turkish school in Pakistan produces math world champion

Usama Mahmoud Hawar, a student at a Turkish school in Pakistan, has become the world champion in mathematics in an exam commissioned by the British Council’s Cambridge University, the Anatolia news agency reported on Sunday. Hawar, one of 12 million students from 200 countries to participate in the exam, was a final-year student at Lahore […]

African Union, Kimse Yok Mu Sign Landmark Agreement

Turkish charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (KYM) has signed a landmark agreement with the African Union (AU), paving way for close cooperation between the two entities to further aid education and development efforts in Africa.

Malaysia detains Turkish academic second time at Turkey’s request

İsmet Özçelik, a Turkish academic with a UNHCR refugee card, was detained again on Thursday in Malaysia amid news that two other Turkish citizens who were believed to have been kidnapped were in fact detained by the authorities.

Orphanage school principal: Accusing Kimse Yok Mu of terror endangers Kyrgyz orphans

Rüstem Atayev, the principal of the Togolok Moldo Orphans’ School in Kyrgyzstan’s capital, Bişkek, has said that the Turkish government accusing the Turkish charity Kimse Yok Mu of terrorism activities will put the welfare of the orphans at the school in jeopardy, as the school is financed by Kimse Yok Mu donations.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

The Muslim Way to React

Dozens of the anti-Gülen and anti-Gülen Movement books on the shelves

Al-Jazeera: Turkish probe marks AKP-Gulen power struggle

Once Shut Down By Taleban, Now Afghan-Turk Schools to be handed over to Erdoğan Regime

Fethullah Gülen’s response to the ‘clash of civilizations’ thesis

Turkey-Japan Media Forum kicks off in İstanbul

Erdoğan’s parallel state (1)

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News