Calgarian held in Turkish prison granted a lawyer but confined to solitary

Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt.
CALGARY HERALD
Davud Hanci, Calgarian arrested in Turkey following failed coup attempt. CALGARY HERALD


Date posted: November 3, 2016

RYAN RUMBOLT

After nearly three months in solitary confinement, the Calgary man accused of trying to overthrow the Turkish government finally has a lawyer.

Calgary-based Imam Davud Hanci was arrested on allegations that he was the mastermind behind a failed coup attempt in July to remove Turkish President Recep Erdogan from power — allegations Hanci’s family called “ridiculous.”

After months of silence, Hanci’s relatives were met with good and bad news about the case: Hanci finally has a lawyer, but he has been held in solitary confinement for nearly three months.

“No one can see him, no one can talk to him,” Hanci’s friend and fellow Imam Malik Muradov said. “It’s scary given the fact that there are some reports of torture in Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.”

Hanci’s sister-in-law, Ruveyda Durmus, said the Calgary man has been made into a scapegoat for the coup, and Muradov said he is concerned his friend might be forced through torture to admit to crimes he did not commit.

“They’re just trying to put it on someone,” Durmus said. “I hope (the Turkish government) go to court and they pay for it, because they definitely arrested the wrong person.”

Durmus said Hanci’s sister goes to visit her brother every day, and every day she is denied access. Durmus said the sister is allowed to leave money for Hanci so he is able to buy basic necessities while in prison.

While communication with Hanci’s lawyer is still spotty, the family is hopeful the Canadian government will continue to put pressure on Turkey. Hanci’s wife and children have left Calgary to stay with Durmus in Ontario to be closer to Ottawa.

The case was brought up in the House of Commons earlier this month by MP for Calgary Shepard Tom Kmiec, who asked the minister of foreign affairs what is being done to bring Hanci home.

The minister’s Parliamentary Secretary, Omar Alghabra, said he has been in communication with Turkish officials at “the highest levels” and the government is committed to bringing Hanci home.

Since the failed coup attempt, Erdogan declared a 90-day state of emergency allowing the Turkish government to rule by decree.

Under the crackdowns, judges are allowed to restrict terrorism suspects’ access to lawyers as well as record the conversations between suspects and their lawyers. On Saturday, Erdogan extended the state of emergency for another 90 days, hinting that it could be extended to more than a year.

More than 10,000 government employees and public servants have been dismissed, 170 news outlets and agencies have been shut down and more than 100 journalists have been imprisoned.

Muradov said Erdogan’s crackdowns are moving Turkey closer to a dictatorship than a democracy, with the president moving further from western ideals.

“It‘s total control right now – it’s a one-man show,” Muradov said. “Everything he says is the law . . . whoever doesn’t submit is in trouble.”

State of emergency latest decrees and dismissals:

  • Terrorism suspects restricted access to lawyers
  • Conversations between terrorism suspects and their lawyers can be recorded
  • More than 10,000 government employees dismissed in the past three months
    • 2,534 personnel from the Justice Ministry
    • 2,219 from the Education Ministry
    • 2,774 from the Health Ministry
    • 1,267 from higher education institutions
    • 101 from the armed forces
  • 170 media outlets shut down
  • 105 journalists imprisoned
  • Over 700 press credentials revoked

Source: Calgary Herald , October 30, 2016


Related News

Turkey builds 50 more prisons for Gülenists: Justice Minister

Turkish Justice Ministry Undersecretary Kenan İpek on Tuesday said more than 50 prisons are under construction for the incarceration of people linked to the Gülen group.

Amnesty laments treatment of Turkey purge victims

Those who believe they were wrongfully sacked can apply to a special commission to have their case reviewed and either be reinstated or compensated. The commission has “failed to uphold international standards and is acting as a de facto rubber stamp for the initial flawed decisions,” Andrew Gardner, Amnesty’s Turkey strategy and research manager, said.

U.N. rights chief questions due process in Turkey purges

The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights voiced deep concern on Monday at mass arrests and sackings of public employees in Turkey and the renewed state of emergency there, saying a “climate of fear” now reigned.

Gulen, Moderate Cleric, Vilified In Turkey

The Turkish government’s war on the Gulen movement has shown no signs of ebbing. Ankara is so determined to crack down on this loose network that its top security council framed it as a terrorist group last week.

Filling the gap left by Gulen

Erdogan and Gulen shared the goal of creating a “devout generation”. Yet despite their similar outlook on life and objectives, the Gulen movement never merged completely with the AKP. However, Gulen was never willing to subordinate himself to Erdogan, which is why the two men fell out in 2013 and the informal coalition with the Gulen movement collapsed.

Who speaks for Islam in Turkey?

Huseyin Gulerce voiced deep concern about Erdogan’s criticism of Fethullah Gulen “as a fake prophet” at a meeting of the Religious Affairs Directorate. Gulerce asked, “Would not the stability of the country be harmed if the mosques are polarized as such?” He concluded that politics have dominated religion.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen awarded Manhae Peace Prize

Turkish Schools, Model for Education in Romania

Erdogan regime’s defamation of Hizmet at full throttle – UK-based academic denies recent allegations

‘Turkish schools are building the future’, expresses Somaliland leader

Doctors In Turkey discouraged from writing up reports on abuse, torture

Closing down prep schools and calling it ‘transformation’

Fethullah Gülen’s vision – Building bridges in Los Angeles

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News