Teachers, parents oppose Pak-Turk Schools takeover


Date posted: August 7, 2016

Ammar Sheikh, Lahore

A group calling itself the Pak-Turk International Schools and Colleges Parent-Teacher Association expressed concern on Saturday over reports that the government was going to hand over the school management to “a political entity”.

Speaking at a press conference at the Raiwind Road campus, they said they would oppose such a move.

On behalf of the association, Saima Ilyas said: “It is said that our schools will be handed over to another foundation. We are unable to understand and accept the transfer of the schools from a local foundation to another foundation, especially the fact that the proposed entity is known to have a political affiliation.”

“We believe that such an entity will preach its own political agenda. We apprehend that students will face unnecessary challenges.”

She refused to identify the entity. She said Pak-Turk educational institutes were affiliated with examination boards across Pakistan and had been imparting modern education.

“These institutes have received appreciation at national and international levels. The administration claims that the schools have never received financial assistance from Pakistani or Turkish government and are managed by a foundation employing 1,200 Pakistani and 134 Turkish personnel.”

She said the association stood by Turkish officials at the schools who felt threatened by the recent developments. “Our Turkish brothers have been imparting education to our children. The schools have several branches in less-developed areas of the country. There has been no violation of Pakistani laws for 21 years. It is unacceptable therefore to condone forced withdrawal of Turkish teachers or transfer of schools to another foundation. One of the factors in preferring Pak-Turk schools is, the Turkish teachers working here. An abrupt withdrawal of Turkish teachers is bound to adversely affect the standard of education.”

She said the new academic year was about to commence. The government, she said, should not take a disagreeable decision. She said they would be forced to take to the streets if the school management was transferred.

 

Source: The Express Tribune , August 7, 2016


Related News

Gülen: The coup attempt was an outrageous scenario constructed by Erdoğan

“Last year’s failed coup attempt in Turkey [was] nothing but a false flag orchestrated by Turkey’s autocratic President Erdoğan and his henchmen to create a pretext for [the] mass persecution of critics and opponents in a state of perpetual emergency,” SCF concluded.

Criticism rains down on gov’t for insisting on closing prep schools

In the meantime, BDP Co-chairman Selahattin Demirtaş struck a similar tone to the prime minister regarding the prep schools’ closure, saying that prep courses must be shut down. Demirtaş said the closure is a political as well as commercial issue, casting doubts on the government’s desire but expressing his approval at shutting down prep schools.

Financial Times: Turkey’s crackdown on dissent has gone too far

More troubling is evidence emerging that his government is now using the attempted coup as a pretext to round up all manner of troublesome opponents, not just the Gulenists. It is also damaging the fabric of Turkish society and undermining its institutions, including the security forces. That is a dangerous move in a country whose immune system is already weakened by jihadism and which is battling armed opponents on several fronts.

Indonesian authorities request 100 more Turkish schools

Operating 10 different schools with a total of 5,000 students, the association which was established a decade ago draws high praise for the successful track record of its students.

Row between Turkish government and Gülen movement heats up with new document

The row between followers of the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement of and the Turkish government took another dimension after a daily revealed Nov. 28 that a decision from the National Security Council (MGK) recommending an action plan against the Gülen movement be signed by the government in 2004.

Şifa University rector says gov’t move to shut down hospitals won’t affect education

İzmir-based Şifa University Rector Professor Mehmet Ateş has said a recent decision by the İzmir Governor’s Office to shut down the university’s additional outpatient polyclinics in the province will not affect education at the university’s main campus.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

TAA holding annual Turkic American Convention in Washington

Turkish Cultural Center honours several Senegalese women

8.5-month pregnant woman under arrest though baby faces heart, kidney problems

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

TUSKON encourages businessmen to shift sights toward India

Şifa University rector says gov’t move to shut down hospitals won’t affect education

African Union Commission chair supports creation of more Turkish schools

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News