Prosecutors conducting ‘terror’ probe of prominent Turkish charity

Kimse Yok Mu came to public attention in September of last year after its right to collect charitable donations was rescinded in a cabinet decision early in October of last year. (Photo: Cihan)
Kimse Yok Mu came to public attention in September of last year after its right to collect charitable donations was rescinded in a cabinet decision early in October of last year. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: April 17, 2015

FARUK ALAN / ISTANBUL

A statement recently sent to the charity organization Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There) by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has revealed that the prosecutor’s office has been conducting an investigation against the charity on the charges of “terrorism.”

The scandalous investigation was revealed to the public after Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor Musa Yücel sent a statement to Kimse Yok Mu’s management to ask the charity to send information about the organization’s activities for Eid al-Adha (the Feast of the Sacrifice). After receiving the request, the charity organization’s lawyers applied to the prosecutor’s office to learn the details of the investigation of Kimse Yok Mu. When the lawyers went to the Ankara courthouse to examine the investigation file, they found that the investigation includes charges of being an “armed terrorist organization;” however, as the court had ordered that the details of the investigation remain confidential, the lawyers could not examine the content of the investigation file.

During Eid al-Adha, animals are slaughtered as a reminder of the Prophet Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son, Ishmael, to God as an act of obedience and submission. A portion of the meat is then distributed to the poor, along with other charitable donations, as per Islamic tradition. Each year, tens of thousands of animals are sacrificed by Kimse Yok Mu and the meat is distributed to people in need in various poor countries around the world.

Kimse Yok Mu, which is affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has become a target in a battle launched by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the movement. Several pro-government media outlets are carrying out a smear campaign, with publications accusing the charity of engaging in illegal fundraising activities despite a lack of evidence to that effect.

Speaking with Today’s Zaman, Kimse Yok Mu’s lawyer Muhittin Yılmaz said that they learned about the investigation, founded on baseless accusations, after they received the statement from Yücel. Yılmaz said that there was a court order that imposed confidentiality on the investigation, adding, “When we examined the court order, we understood that the investigation is being conducted based on ‘armed terrorist organization’ charges.”

Kimse Yok Mu came to public attention in September of last year after its right to collect charitable donations was rescinded in a cabinet decision early in October of last year. However, the Council of State issued a stay of execution on the cabinet decision to rescind the charity’s right to collect charitable donations, saying the decision was against the law.

The 10th Chamber of the Council of State announced on Nov. 25, 2014 its decision regarding an appeal filed by the charity against the October 2014 cabinet decision that removed Kimse Yok Mu’s right to collect donations without obtaining permission from the relevant authorities. Noting that the cabinet argued that the charity was involved in irregularities in collecting donations in the justification for its decision, the court said it found no irregularity that would lead the charity to lose its qualifications as an organization that exhibits “accountability, transparency, institutionalization and reliability.”

Source: Today's Zaman , April 16, 2015


Related News

PM Erdoğan increases intensity of hate speech against Hizmet movement

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has increased the intensity of his hate speech against the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling on people not to attend the movement’s schools or exam preparatory courses and not to buy newspapers close to the movement.

Why Is A Cleric In The Poconos Accused Of Fomenting Turkey’s Coup Attempt?

As Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdogan began re-establishing control Saturday, he immediately pointed the finger of blame for the failed coup attempt against him.

Gülen’s lawyer: Pro-government media ignores ruling of Supreme Court of Appeals

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said in a written statement on Monday that pro-government media outlets continue their false accusations about Gülen and members of the Gülen movement, pointing out that Gülen was acquitted in June 2008 of all allegations that had been leveled against him at that time.

Dr. Soltes: Hizmet cares for Turkey and humanity

Antalya Intercultural Dialog Center (AKDIM) hosted a conference entitled “Implications of Global Rise of Democracy for Today from a Rumi Perspective” at Ramada Plaza Hotel, Antalya, Turkey. The keynote speakers were the US academic Dr. Ori Soltes and journalist-author Erkan Tufan Aytav.

Ex-President Demirel known for his support of Turkish schools abroad

Turkey’s ninth president, Süleyman Demirel, who died on Wednesday at the age of 90, was known for his open support of the Turkish schools abroad inspired by the views of the Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Interview with Henri Barkey on the Hizmet Movement

Henri Barkey, who has been one of the leading Turkey analysts in Washington, joined journalist Ruşen Çakır’s live broadcast via Periscope. He made interesting comments about the claims of the “parallel structure,” the situation of Fethullah Gülen in the US, and the appointment of trustees to the Zaman daily.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Mali education minister lauds teachers in nation’s Turkish schools

Kenya: Investigate Deportation of Turkish National

Turkey rolls up sleeves to reach out to needy at home, abroad on Eid al-Adha

Hizmet movement and Kurdish question in Turkey

SEASON OF PEACE: Moderate Islam has a voice if you listen

Filipino-Turkish School of Tolerance Donates Beef in Feast of Sacrifice

Turkey’s Erdogan vows to cut off revenues of Gulen-linked businesses

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News