TÜBİTAK official says forced to make changes to bugging device report


Date posted: February 21, 2014

İSTANBUL

The former head of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey’s (TÜBİTAK) Research Center for Advanced Technologies on Informatics and Information Security (BİLGEM) has said he was forced to make changes in a report as part of an investigation into a “bugging device” found at the prime minister’s office.

In a blistering statement over his dismissal from the top post at BİLGEM, a critical department within TÜBİTAK that prepares expert reports for court cases and state agencies, Hasan Palaz said he was forced to make changes on a scientific report that was prepared as part of a criminal investigation into the installment of bugging devices at Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s office in Parliament and his home in 2012.

The prime minister announced on a live TV program on the evening of Dec. 23, 2012 that bugging devices were found in his office in his Ankara home, but he did not specify when the devices were found. “Security units [the police] found those devices. They were placed inside the office in my house. Such things occur despite all measures taken to prevent them,” he stated.

There were earlier rumors that two listening devices had been discovered in the prime minister’s office in Parliament, and two of Erdoğan’s guards had been fired in connection with the discovery. This was followed by claims that two other bugging devices had also been found in his automobile.

Sources from the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, which spoke to the media on condition of anonymity, said an investigation had been launched into the bugs after the prime minister spoke about them in the TV program.

TÜBİTAK was tasked to examine the bugging devices and Palaz led the work on the listening devices, he said in a written statement on Thursday.

Palaz said he shared the findings with the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and the Prime Ministry. He also briefed the disciplinary board of the Prime Ministry twice about the content of the scientific report on the listening devices. Two years after the inquiry, Palaz said he was asked to change the date when the bugging device started functioning.

Facing unethical and political pressure to changes details in a scientific document, which was prepared in line with scientific norms, Palaz said his conscience and respect for the profession did not allow him bow to political whims and directives to tamper with findings.

Palaz said he faced threats of dismissal from the post if he failed to comply with the demand to make the changes to the report, and after Science, Industry and Technology Minister Nihat Ergün was replaced by Fikri Işık, those threats turned into a reality.

He was sacked as chair of BİLGEM and still faces pressure to resign from TÜBİTAK, where he has worked for 24 years. Instead of preparing politically motivated reports that lack scientific quality and impartiality to meet the demands of politicians, Palaz said his respect for the profession keeps him out of political wrangling and bickering that could kill science.

In a stern warning, he said the government’s interference in TÜBİTAK reports and politicians’ meddling in scientific inquiries would be suicide for the science world.

The discovery of the bugging devices led to an outcry and fueled a debate over who is responsible for monitoring and bugging the prime minister’s office.

When the allegations turned into full-blown recriminations and raging debates in Parliament over culpability regarding the installment of the devices, pro-government circles and media pointed to some organizations within civil society. According to allegations, the bugging device found in the prime minister’s office was placed there by individuals close to the Hizmet movement. The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Aug. 13, 2013, said it condemned such accusations and called for the judiciary and the government to take the necessary action in the bugging device controversy.

Source: Todays Zaman , February 20, 2014


Related News

Yamanlar Koleji crowns Turkey with second gold medal

Furkan Bahar, a student from Yamanlar Koleji, a private high school in İzmir, has won a gold medal at the 46th International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) held in Hanoi, Vietnam between July 20 and 28. IChO welcomed representatives from 77 countries. Bahar, a member of the national chemistry team appointed by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), became the winner of Turkey’s only gold medal in the competition.

Questions over corruption and paralysis of politics [in Turkey]

The corruption crisis, the related ongoing judicial process and PM Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s stance towards this process have led many people to have serious concerns over justice and the latest developments have made me pose the following questions. I think that we strongly need honestly speaking and honestly thinking politicians to answer these questions for the sake of liberal democracy and universal values such as rule of law.

Police report accuses Gülen based on fabricated ‘gov’t media’ stories

According to a story reported by the news portal Rota Haber, the National Police Department drafted a secret report in June 2014 mostly based on stories in pro-government media which claim that the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is the leader of a terrorist organization and is responsible for the wiretapping of a classified meeting at the Foreign Ministry.

Clash of the Anatolian Tigers

Gulen-associated businesses inside Turkey have already been “punished.” Several pundits have told Al-Monitor they do not expect TUSKON-related businesses, particularly Asia Bank, to survive another year.

London-Based Turkish Academic To Run 10,000 Meters To Raise Fund For Purge Victims In Turkey

İsmail Sezgin, a London-based Turkish academic has tweeted on Tuesday that he will run a total of 10,000 meters in support of the families hit by an ongoing purge by the Turkish government. Releasing a statement on moneygiving.com, Sezgin said that he aims at raising a fund of 10 thousand pounds to help purge-victim families in Turkey.

You are free to touch Hizmet movement

There are other journalists, very secular journalists who have denounced Fethullah Gülen and his movement, defined him as a CIA agent or a secret Christian, all sorts of things, but they have never been imprisoned.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Washington Post on Erdoğan’s purge: Cruel frenzy in march towards authoritarianism

Filling in for Missing Pieces: Peacebuilding Through Education

Fethullah Gulen writes in WSJ: Muslims Must Combat the Extremist Cancer

Dutch police arrest Erdogan backer for threats after failed Turkish coup

Uplifting Romanian children in need

Erdoğan’s Crackdown Takes A Toll On Exchange Students In Turkey

A time for sacrifice

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News