Gulen blasts ‘despicable’ 2016 Turkey coup bid, subsequent ‘witch hunt’

Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: July 15, 2017

US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed by Turkey for a failed coup attempt a year ago, on Friday again denied any involvement in what he called a “despicable putsch,” and called on Ankara to end its “witch hunt” of his followers.

“Accusations against me related to the coup attempt are baseless, politically motivated slanders,” Gulen, who lives at a compound in rural Pennsylvania, said in a statement.

“I reiterate my condemnation of the despicable putsch and its perpetrators,” he said, while decrying a government “witch hunt to weed out anyone it deems disloyal to President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his regime.”

Gulen’s statement came a day before Turkey marks the first anniversary of a military-led bid to seize power from Erdogan — a bid which Ankara says was ordered by Gulen.

Some 50,000 people have been arrested and over 100,000 fired or suspended from their jobs as Erdogan seeks to clean house.

In the latest wave of the purge, Turkey dismissed more than 7,000 police, soldiers and ministry officials under a decree published on Friday, state media reported.

Although activists and Western governments have criticized the crackdown, the government insists it is necessary to tackle the threat they say is posed by the Gulen movement.

“The last year has taken a toll on me as hundreds of thousands of innocent Turkish citizens are being punished simply because the government decides they are somehow ‘connected’ to me or the Hizmet movement and treats that alleged connection as a crime,” Gulen said.

He called for an independent international investigation of last year’s coup attempt, which left 249 people dead.

“The government’s treatment of innocent citizens during the past year is dragging Turkey into the category of the countries with the worst record of democracy, the rule of law and fundamental freedoms in the world,” he said.


Related Video, added by the HizmetNews.Com

Fethullah Gulen calls for international probe into Turkey coup allegations

Source: Daily Mail , July 14, 2017


Related News

Pakistan: Islamabad High Court rejects petition by Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation

The Islamabad High Court, while rejecting the petition filed by Turkey’s Maarif Foundation, decreed that there was no meaning in the foundation’s demand for inclusion in the case as it was out of the question for such foreign structures to find in themselves any right to take over the [Pak-Turk] schools in Pakistan.

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

Turkey’s Deputy PM: 2.4 Pct Of Public Sector Employees Discharged Over Alleged Gülen Links

Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş has announced that some 2.4 percent of Turkish public sector workers have been discharged over their alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

The government-orchestrated crackdown on independent critical media outlets in Turkey took a turn for the worse on Sunday with dawn raids on Turkey’s largest newspaper Zaman and popular national TV network Samanyolu TV that led to the detention of top managers at the media outlets.

Erdoğan’s plan to contain corruption scandal

Despite the obstacles he has orchestrated for those pursuing the investigations, Erdoğan has never been able to gain enough traction to shift the debate away from corruption since Dec. 17. He must now be running on fumes.

Free speech groups condemn Turkey’s closure of 29 publishers after failed coup

Jo Glanville, director of English PEN, said: “The coup posed a serious threat to the Turkish state, but the closing down of publishers, alongside the mass sackings, detentions, arrests and allegations of torture, will have a grave impact on democracy. The crackdown on freedom of expression was already a continuing concern. The coup now appears to be an opportunity for Erdoğan to purge Turkey of his opponents.

Latest News

Turkish dinner in Erie brings together flavors, cultures

Pro-Erdogan columnist calls California ice-cream seller, “Dogs of Jews, terrorists!”

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

Turkish Government Imprisons One More Mother With Her Baby Over Links To Gülen Movement

Dozens take to Parliament Hill to protest Turkish human rights violations

Visually impaired journalist’s letter shows he can barely survive in prison

Journalist Karaca sentenced to 31 years for slandering al-Qaeda-affiliated group

In Case You Missed It

Abant Platform discusses terror at UN headquarters in Vienna

Kemalo-Islamists versus civil society and Hizmet

Catholics, Hizmet bring faiths closer in the US

Concluding statement of the International panel on Mary announced

Ramadan Tent brings faiths together in Virginia

Parents criticize gov’t-led police raids on educational institutions

Turkey’s harsh new reality: the gateway to Jihad Central

Trip to Turkey leaves a lasting impression

GYV contributes to correct perception of Islam

Copyright 2017 Hizmet News