Turkish PM: State of emergency will continue until Gülen movement completely wiped out


Date posted: January 27, 2017

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said in Ankara on Thursday that the state of emergency which was declared following a failed coup attempt in July of last year will continue until the faith-based Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind the coup attempt, is completely wiped out from state institutions.

Speaking during a ceremony to launch the Justice Ministry’s judicial database project in Ankara, Yıldırım said his Justice and Development Party (AKP) has brought about effective changes in the judicial system and that the state of emergency will remain in force “to wipe ‘FETÖ’ out completely.”

FETÖ is a derogatory term for the Fetullahist Terrorist Organization, coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AKP to refer to the Gülen movement, a global civil society movement inspired by the views of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

“Not with mercy or with revenge, we are going to treat them [Gülen followers] with justice. … It has been six or seven months since the [failed] coup took place. Those who took up arms and killed people are known. Citizens are asking why these people still have not been tried. … Why do you think people keep screaming for the death penalty? They want to see results. This is the payoff for a 40-year-long case. If we speed up the process, people will calm down,” Yıldırım said.

He also admitted that a commission established by a recent government decree to investigate lawsuits filed during a state of emergency was actually established to prevent the victims of post-coup violations from taking their cases to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

Meanwhile, President Erdoğan told reporters on his way back to Turkey from a visit to Africa that holding a referendum on constitutional amendments under the state of emergency may create a “comfortable ground” for Turkey.

“Going [to referendum] with the state of emergency may prepare a comfortable ground. I am aware that the government also thinks this way since there is no such thing as ‘there cannot be elections while there is a state of emergency.’ Remember, before we came to power, there was a state of emergency in Turkey and the election was held under such circumstances. We lifted the state of emergency after we came to power,” he said.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 27, 2017


Related News

Criminal complaint filed against prosecutor accusing Hizmet of being terrorist

A criminal complaint has been filed against Ankara public prosecutor Serdar Coşkun, who prepared an indictment in which by using false testimonies as evidence he accused several people of conducting organized crime under the Hizmet movement which he claimed to be a terrorist organization.

Der Spiegel: Turkish embassies pursuing Erdoğan critics in 35 countries

Turkish government has been spying on its own citizens in 35 countries with the help of its diplomatic outpost, according to German weekly magazine Der Spiegel.

Organization (Kimse Yok Mu?) helped 79 Syrian families

“Is Anybody There?” Organization officials delivered donations, blankets and food to Syrian families with the coordination of AFAD (Disaster and Emergency Management Department) officials. The president of “Is Anybody There?” Elazig branch, Mr. Onder Colak, noted that they have been making donations to Syrian refugees in Turkey since the first days of civil war outbreak in Syria.

Disregard call to close Turkish schools – Proprietors tell Nigerian govt

Owners of the Nigeria Turkish International College have urged Nigeria to disregard the call by the Turkish Ambassador to Nigeria, Mr. Hakan Cakil, to close its schools in the country.

‘Hizmet conspiracy’ theories rejected at iftar hosted by Alevis

Participants of an iftar held by the Federation of Alevi-Bektaşi Associations under the theme “Solidarity in the light of the Quran” at the Renaissance Polat Hotel in İstanbul on Wednesday evening expressed their disbelief in the existence of any conspiracy prepared by the Hizmet movement.

Lawyer rejects alleged Gülen remarks published by leftist daily

The lawyer of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied alleged remarks made by his client against the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) that were published by a leftist daily on Oct. 9. The leftist Birgün daily published the transcript of an alleged audio recording, which the newspaper claims belongs to Gülen and which was first released by a hacker group, Roj Hack, on the Internet.

Latest News

Jailed woman in hospital for delivery to be returned to jail with new-born

Former intel chief calls for use of ASALA, MOSSAD tactics to kill Gülen followers

Fethullah Gülen’s Message for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day

A new refugee flow to Europe: Turkish refugees

What can Christians learn from a global Islamic movement?

Jailed teacher dies of cancer in Turkish prison

Two women detained during visit to jailed husbands

668 babies – children in Turkey’s prisons

Mother with 25-day-old baby jailed on coup charges in Istanbul

In Case You Missed It

Exit strategy for the AKP

Turkish press council condemns false reports on Gülen movement

Civil society-democratic relations, Gezi and the Middle East

Man behind Gülen probe also filed complaints about PM Erdoğan

Turkish American ‘balance alignment’

Foreword to “The Gulen Movement: Civic Service without Borders”

Turkish school opens in northern Iraq, more schools in demand

TUSKON cautions gov’t to make careful decisions on Syria issue

Historic ijma meeting in İstanbul

Copyright 2018 Hizmet News