Parents Reject Decision to Shut Down Gülen-inspired Schools in Morocco


Date posted: January 7, 2017

Youssef Igrouane

Rabat – Parents of students studying at Casablanca’s Mohammed Al-Fatih school are condemning the Moroccan Ministry of the  Interior’s decision to shut down all the institutions linked to Fethullah Gülen, the alleged mastermind of the July 15 attempted coup d’état, which aimed to overthrow Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

In a video filmed by Moroccan news outlet Le360, students appear to be crying and irritated parents display their confusion at the ministry’s decision regarding the schools in which they have enrolled their children.

“The teaching methodology of this school is good and the textbooks are not related to any ideology or policy,” one father said. “Giving us one month to move our children from one school to another is unacceptable.”

“The school has been open for 15 years,” another parent said. “Why did they not make sure the school was rid of the Gulen movement’s ideology? There is no proof.”

“We reject this decision. It is a political decision not related to education,” one parent of two said. “This decision was made without taking into considerations the parents’ conditions.”

“They want to disperse our children like sheep,” one mother cried. “It’s not fair to make this decision like this. Where are those warning sent [from the Ministry of Education]? We asked school officials [and they received nothing].”

For his part, Zouhir Mohammed Kadour, the Director of the Mohammed Al-Fatih School, said, “We are shocked by the announcement of the Interior Ministry […] We’ve worked for the Al-Fatih School Group for 22 years. We followed the Moroccan curriculum, the Moroccan Ministry of Education program, and the school staff is Moroccan.”

“We have not seen any deviation and we did not spread any ideology,” Kadour continued.

“[Allegations] about our relationship with Gulen are false.” Kadour added. “The school began with subsidies by Turkish businessmen, but we are not related to these political issues.”

At the end of the video, students are seen crying and reiterating that they will never leave their school. They also assert that that the teachers are proficient and gentle with them.

The controversial decision to close the schools follows a communiqué issued by the Interior Ministry published on Thursday, which stated that “investigations have revealed that the schools were spreading the ‘ideology’ and ideas of Gulen’s movement — ideology that contradicts the educational system and religious principles of Morocco.”

The ministry has set a deadline of one month for institution officials to comply with its decision. Countdown to the deadline started on Thursday.

Source: Morocco World News , January 7, 2017


Related News

Erdogan to become an all-powerful democratically elected dictator

Turkey’s failed coup last week has emboldened President Tayyip Erdogan to become an all-powerful democratically elected dictator. The attempt by his opponents to take over the state by force provided him the political cover to destroy all remaining opposition to his rule without no fair judicial process.

Turkish school staff among 230 more evacuated from Yemen

Turkey evacuated 230 more people, including 185 Turkish nationals, from the Yemeni capital of Sanaa on April 5, Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu has said.

Students from 32 countries participate in international cultural festival in Cambodia

The second annual international language and cultural festival in Cambodia on March 23rd has drawn the participation of students from 32 countries who are studying at Zaman International School in Cambodia.

8 detained in police raids on İzmir schools as Erdoğan’s witch hunt continues

Eight people were detained on charges of forging documents in police raids on 30 private schools established by volunteers from the faith-based Gülen movement early on Tuesday in İzmir, as part of a Justice and Development Party (AAK Party government-orchestrated operation targeting the movement.

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

David Junusa, a Sierra Leonean national who lives and works in Ankara was detained at the Kavaklidere Police Station in Ankara when he showed up to renew his expired residency permit.

‘Selam’ – We come in peace

EMİNE YILDIRIM, İSTANBUL The debut feature of director Levent Demirtepe, “Selam,” as the producers of the film have announced, is indeed the first Turkish film to be shot on three different continents. The thing that stands out the most about the film is that it is made as a labor of love and with some […]

Latest News

Major Says No One In Erdoğan Assassination Attempt Trial Has Links To Gülen

Post-coup purge victim says he may never be a father due to torture in prison

Top Three Reasons Why Turkey’s President Erdogan is Obsessed with Gulen

Dismissed top editor of Zaman: We made a mistake by not objecting to the imprisonment of journalists

Turkey’s spying imams also active in Norway: monitoring group

Why I Asked National Security Adviser to Stop Turkish Espionage on Nigeria

Qur’anic Reciters of Nigeria Raise Alarm Over Turkey’s Espionage

Der Spiegel: Turkish consulate officials involved in spying activities not only in Germany

Persecution In Turkey Left Kids With A Down Syndrome Suffering Tremendously

In Case You Missed It

In Houston, a celebration: Silk road festival

We the pious did not feel for the suffering of the Kurds

After Fethullah Gülen’s demise what will happen to the Hizmet Movement

Kimse Yok Mu helps 2 mln people across the world during Ramadan

Saylorsburg cleric sends statement to Muslim-Catholic conference

KYM Ramadan Aid for Ugandan Police Department

Amir Hussain on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Kimse Yok Mu President: We are not leaving Somalia

Gülen donates Manhae award honorarium to Peace Projects

Copyright 2017 Hizmet News