Turkish newspaper ‘Zaman’ shuts down in Germany amid ‘threats’


Date posted: September 9, 2016

The Turkish-language newspaper “Zaman” will stop operations in Germany after “threats” to readers, a staff member has said. The Turkish government took over the paper in Turkey itself in March.

Zaman” would stop publishing its print edition in Germany by November 30 to avoid “harm to staff or subscribers,” Süleyman Bag, a member of the paper’s management, told German broadcaster hr on Friday.

“Our subscribers are being visited; they are being threatened that if they continue to subscribe, they will have problems,” Bag said. He added that the current situation in Turkey, where the government is carrying out a wide-ranging media purge, was spilling over into Germany.

Mustafa Altas, a member of the newspaper’s board, said it was still unclear whether the internet version of the newspaper, “Zaman-online,” would continue its German operations.

The French and Belgian editions of the newspaper have already stopped publishing due to threats.

Journalists at risk

The Turkish government has been carrying out a purge of media outlets, the army, the judiciary and academia following a failed coup in July that Ankara blames on followers of the exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. Until its takeover by the government in March, “Zaman” had close ties to Gülen’s Hizmet movement.

Ankara has often called for Gülen’s extradition from the US

In Germany, there have been reports of alleged “Gülenists” being targeted, sometimes physically, by German Turks loyal to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Germany has the second-largest Turkish population in the world after Turkey itself.

Turkey has closed more than 130 media outlets and arrested more than 60 journalists in its post-coup crackdown since July 15, according to the Brussels-based European Federation of Journalists.

Deutsche Welle on Thursday received the support of press rights groups after Turkish authorities earlier this week seized footage of a DW interview with the sports minister.

 

Source: Deutsche Welle , September 9, 2016


Related News

Judge says judiciary still under tutelage, implies gov’t responsible

Even the simplest court decisions are subject to discussion and the trust in the judiciary has been badly damaged. Everyone, including the judiciary and executive bodies, should put forward documents and evidence related to the claims [of the existence of a parallel state],” Constitutional Court President Haşim Kılıç stated.

Türksat removes Zaman, 3 others from ad list

Türksat withdrew its ads from three other dailies as well: Bugün, Taraf and Radikal, all of which have published articles that criticized the government’s efforts to cover up an ongoing investigation into alleged corruption claims.

Oligarchic clique’s devious plans

Şahin, a longtime friend and political partner of Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, insisted that “the government is run by a small oligarchy of elites in a way that excludes broad segments of the party constituency and the Turkish people.”

Abundant accusations [against Hizmet], little evidence

The Turkish media – or what is left of it – has already found Fethullah Gülen guilty of the coup attempt on July 15. When challenged about the evidence, the most common reply is “Come to Turkey and see” or “Everyone in Turkey thinks this way.” This almost unanimous opinion is not a coincidence, and it does imply a monopoly over the Turkish media rather than any objective fact.

Documents reveal how military carried out campaign against the Gulen [Hizmet] movement

CEMAL A. KALYONCU, İSTANBUL Documents retrieved from computers of the Information and Support Unit of the General Staff clearly reveal how a pro-coup junta nested within the Turkish military, the Turkish Armed Forces (TSK), has engaged in propaganda to discredit the government and faith-based groups in the eyes of the people. Special unit to fight […]

Turkey’s tryst with democracy (2)

The anti-Hizmet moorings of the Erdoğan-led AK Party were present since the formation of the AK Party government in 2002. It is evident from the “secret deal” signed between the military establishment and the Erdoğan government concerning the profiling of Hizmet volunteers that led to the crackdown on Hizmet.

Latest News

Radio Sweden exposes Turkish Gov’t tracks down regime critics in Sweden, threatens to take wives as hostages

UK Clears Gulenists Of Turkey’s ‘Coup’ Accusations

Germany informs Gülen sympathizers about Turkish Intel surveillance

Turkey – Baby with Down syndrome suffers major health problems in absence of jailed parents

After 8 Months, Turkish Gov’t Still Unable to Sell Allies Coup Narrative against the Gulen Movement

UK Parliament: No evidence that Gülen, movement behind coup attempt

Ex-CIA Director: Mike Flynn and Turkish Officials Discussed Removal of Gulen from U.S. without Going through Legal Process

Another suspicious death: Doctor dies of heart attack in prison

Turkish police detain 35 lawyers for ‘defending’ Gülen sympathizers

In Case You Missed It

US Cannot ‘Suspend’ Constitution for Gulen Extradition – Ex-Prosecutor

Scandalous return of Feb. 28

Gulen-linked body condemns attempted Turkey coup

University of Florida and the failed coup in Turkey

Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

Romanian gov’t congratulates Turkish schools for international achievements

Fethullah Gulen — His Vision, Our Response

Leak deepens AKP-Gulen rift

Finally, an awakening… press freedom in Turkey

Copyright 2017 Hizmet News